Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX - UV usable range?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
704 Views, 3 Replies

FBX - UV usable range?

Hi All

I've a problem with FBX textures import. For example a minimun U(V) coordinate is  -0.04 and a maximim one is 0.96.  But what U(V) range is really used for mapping? Variants

[0..1] (most probably)

[-1..1]

[-0.04..0.96] (it's unlikely)

Same question can be re-formulated as: what position in UV space does correspond to image center? (0.5, 0.5) or (0, 0) or (0.48, 0.48)? The texture translation is (0, 0), can't help

Thanks

Tommato

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Read my response here.  You're making bad assumptions about how UVs work.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fbx-sdk/getpolygonvertexuv-returns-uv-s-outside-of-0-0-1-0-range/td-p/...

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

>> Read my response here.  You're making bad assumptions about how UVs work.

If I understood you well, everything outside [0..1] is tiled/repeated. I've read many models from different 3d apps - it's not always so. The range [0..1] is just using more often, but not near always. UV is just а "space" that can hold any data as they are wriiten. For example many apps do copy model coordinates as UV(s). The range [-0.5..0.5] is also enough popular practice. Noone promised they are from 0 to 1

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Texture coordinates can have any value.  It depending on the clamping/wrapping values for interpretation.   To sample an image, texture coordinates need to range from [0.0, 1.0).   Note that 1.0 is exclusive, meaning that 1.0 maps to the same texel as 0.0.  Depending on the wrapping and clamping values, texture coordinate values outsize the [0.0, 1.0) range are mapped back into this range.  So texels are located in [0.0, 1.0), texture coordinates can be any floating point value and the texture mapping controls can remap the texture coordinate back into texel  space.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report