Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX SDK FbxAxisSystem::ConvertScene cannot change handedness ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rajkosto
2136 Views, 3 Replies

FBX SDK FbxAxisSystem::ConvertScene cannot change handedness ?

I'm trying to export data from my editor.

The coordinate system my editor uses has the following basis vectors: Up: (0,1,0), Front: (0,0,1), Right(1,0,0)

In FbxAxisSystem terms, this is eYAxis,eParityOdd,eLeftHanded right ?

So i save my fbx file with that axis system set to the scene global settings.

Now, any application that uses FbxAxisSystem::ConvertScene during import to convert my scene to their axis system (Max 2015, Maya 2015) shows my mesh with ONE AXIS FLIPPED. With the (eYAxis,eParityOdd,eLeftHanded) configuration, this is the Y axis. My Y axis is defined to be Y+, and my vertex data is in Y+, so it should never FLIP DOWNWARDS.

Also, no matter what combination of FbxAxisSystem i set to my scene before exporting, one of the axis will be in wrong orientation, because presumably ConvertScene doesn't know how to apply handedness conversions properly ? So if i change my FbxAxisSystem to be (-eYAxis,eParityOdd,eLeftHanded) to compensate for the Up axis being flipped in Max,Maya, i get not just Y axis flipped, but another one as well: https://i.imgur.com/3Oq3mSp.png (FBX with Y+,Y- imported into same max scene).

But an application that DOESN't use ConvertScene to force their axis system, like Visual Studio FBX previewer, SHOWS MY MODEL CORRECTLY. Because it just changes it's axis system to match the one defined in FBX file (http://i.imgur.com/D5UkhwL.png visual studio showing my FBX in proper orientation).

If, right before export, i do a FbxAxisSystem::Max.ConvertScene(myScene), opening up that FBX shows same result in Visual Studio 2013 and Max/Maya. So it is a problem of ConvertScene not taking into account all the required modifications necessary to change handedness ?

How do i fix this ? Changing the vertex data itself gets really messy, and then adding bones and animations into the mix makes it much worse.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rajkosto
in reply to: rajkosto

FBX review also behaves identically to Max/Maya

I've attached the fbx file to this post

Reading the UE4 source code, there's a comment indicating they've stumbled onto this bug as well.

Message 3 of 4
jsarfaty
in reply to: rajkosto

Hello, I'm running into this same problem using FbxSDK 2013.3.  

Has this been fixed in any future releases?

Is there any workaround available such as using the old InsertFbxRoot/RemoveAllFbxRoots conversion interface?

Message 4 of 4
jsarfaty
in reply to: jsarfaty

Just upgraded to SDK 2015.1 and the RHS->LHS bug still persists (and InsertFbxRoot/RemoveAllFbxRoots doesn't work either).  Is there a workaround for this issue?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report