Discussion Groups

FBX SDK

Employee
RobertGoulet

FBX SDK 2013.x - Upcoming Major API Changes

275 Views, 29 Replies
05-30-2011 10:19 AM
Hello everyone!

In the next major release of FBX (2013), we are planning a major change to the whole API. We are putting a lot of efforts to bring the API to a consistent level. Since the modifications are major, we wanted to let you know that your code calling FBX SDK API will most likely be broken upon upgrading to FBX SDK 2013.

What are we doing exactly?
- Renaming almost every class/structure of the FBX SDK to a consistent way.
- Moving enumerations inside classes.
- Grouping logical classes/functions together.
- Renaming file names and path names.
- Removing a lot of deprecated code.
- Exposing previously private classes.
- Unifying usage of internal classes.
- ...and many more small clean-up changes all over the place!

In this release, we will not have any deprecated calls, since this would mean the whole SDK would be deprecated. This also means a lot of functions or classes will not be available anymore, and sometimes without replacements. At some point we needed to look back and make some decisions about what the FBX SDK should offer. Decisions were mostly motivated by the fact that the FBX SDK has grown pretty large over time, and inconsistent in a way. This is ok, we've been working on it for almost two decades now. :smileywink:

FBX 2013 will not be ready for a while still, we just wanted you to be aware of the upcoming major changes, and we hope to upload a build on the Beta boards eventually, thought I cannot provide any precise schedule. We are very excited with the API face-lift, and we hope you will all like the FBX SDK API rejuvenation we are working on for some time now!

If you have any questions or comments about this topic, please do not hesitate to ask below! Thank you!

-Robert Goulet
Robert Goulet, FBX Dev Lead
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Michael79_1

Re: FBX SDK 2013.x - Upcoming Major API Changes

05-31-2011 04:16 AM in reply to: RobertGoulet
Hi Robert,
thanks for the heads up.
To help us out with the renaming, could you ensure that typedefs for the old names are provided? e.g.
K_DEPRECATED typedef FbxNewClass KFbxOldClass;
K_DEPRECATED typedef FbxClass::NewEnum EOldEnum;
Thanks
-Michael
Please use plain text.
Employee
RobertGoulet

05-31-2011 08:57 AM in reply to: RobertGoulet
As we have previously stated, we do not intend to have any deprecated calls in this version of the FBX SDK, that would be too much work. However, we do plan to provide a compatibility header file that will typedef most of the previous classes just like you are proposing.

This will help the transition, but it will be difficult to make sure we didn't forget to add a class or an enum to this file. I propose that once we deliver the early alpha FBX 2013 that you test it out and report any missing class, function or enum that should have been added to that compatibility header file.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pakiman

06-09-2011 04:11 PM in reply to: RobertGoulet
Aside from the the API, will there be changes in the FBX file format?
Please use plain text.
lenar

06-10-2011 09:18 AM in reply to: RobertGoulet
I assume that FBX SDK 2013.x will be compatible with python3.2, is that correct?

However, have you guys considered rebuilding the current release for python3.2?
There are some environments where this version of python is a natural choice
and being stuck to python3.1 due to the lack of support from FBX SDK is a little
uncomfortable, to say the least :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Employee
RobertGoulet

06-13-2011 11:49 AM in reply to: pakiman
We will most likely tune a few things, but it will remain backward and forward compatible. You will not notice any major changes in the file format.
Please use plain text.
Employee
RobertGoulet

06-13-2011 11:52 AM in reply to: lenar
For the FBX 2013.x, yes I think it would be a good thing to upgrade to Python 3.2. As for the 2012.x line, there's another release coming down the road at the end of this summer, perhaps we can manage to fit this upgrade there, but I cannot promise anything. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
Cactus Dan

06-16-2011 11:35 AM in reply to: RobertGoulet
Howdy,

Will it be rock solid and more stable (crash resistant) when using with other api's, for example in a non Autodesk application plugin project?

Edit:
If you don't understand exactly what I mean, take a look at my post in this thread over at the Cinema 4D plugin developer support forum:
www.plugincafe.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5845&PID=24471#24471

Adios,
Cactus Dan
Please use plain text.
zoujy06

06-22-2011 11:47 PM in reply to: RobertGoulet
Hi Robert,

ZOU
Please use plain text.
zoujy06

06-22-2011 11:58 PM in reply to: RobertGoulet
Hi Robert,
I’m sorry, what I am going to talk about may be not directly related to this topic, but it is very important to me . I hope you can help me . Thank you forward!
My problem is I find that memory leak occurs when I Load a .3ds file using FBXSDK 2011.3.1or 2012.1.
I have done a simple project in vs2005 to test whether memory leak occurs when loading .3ds files or .fbxs file or .obj files using FBXSDK 2011.3.1 .
The result of the test is that when loading .3ds files, memory leaks. When loading .fbx files or .obj files memory is OK.
The attachment is the test project, I hope you can help to find whether the memory leak is due to my misapplying of the FBXSDK.

Thanks a lot.

ZOU

fbxsdk2011_test.zip

Please use plain text.