Area :: Header
New tools, templates and workflows
Announcing Extension 2 for 3ds Max 2015 and 3ds Max Design 2015
Discussion Groups

FBX SDK

9 Posts
0 Kudos

Can we assgin vertex normals only using eControlPoint mapping mode?

37 Views, 2 Replies
11-15-2012 05:13 AM
I want to map my normals to each polygon vertex by using eByPolygonVertex and eIndexToDirect, but I found when I import the genereated .fbx file into Maya,the normals on the vertices are not what I assgined to them, instead, those normals look like generated by Maya automatically.I don't think there's anything wrong with my code because I used the same way for UVs and they act very correctly.

Then I reorganized my data and did a test using eByControlPoint and eDirect mode, this time I see the correct normals on the vertices.

Can we only do this using eByControlPoint? It seems like the samples I checked are all using this mode for normals. But this won't fit my needs because I could have multiply normals on one control point.

Any help I'd really appreciate it.
Employee
201 Posts
1 Kudo

Re: Can we assgin vertex normals only using eControlPoint mapping mode?

11-16-2012 11:15 AM in reply to: Austin Zhang
It is totally possible to set normals ByPolygonVertex, that is how they are also exported from Maya. But consider that if the mesh is connected to a skin, blendshape or anything that deforms it, they will get locked and Maya will recompute them upon import so they correctly draw.
Robert Goulet, FBX Dev Lead
Active Contributor
27 Posts
0 Kudos

Re: Can we assgin vertex normals only using eControlPoint mapping mode?

11-29-2012 09:53 AM in reply to: Austin Zhang
You can duplicate the vertices for the all faces that needs to have their own normal.