Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we assgin vertex normals only using eControlPoint mapping mode?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
274 Views, 2 Replies

Can we assgin vertex normals only using eControlPoint mapping mode?

I want to map my normals to each polygon vertex by using eByPolygonVertex and eIndexToDirect, but I found when I import the genereated .fbx file into Maya,the normals on the vertices are not what I assgined to them, instead, those normals look like generated by Maya automatically.I don't think there's anything wrong with my code because I used the same way for UVs and they act very correctly.

Then I reorganized my data and did a test using eByControlPoint and eDirect mode, this time I see the correct normals on the vertices.

Can we only do this using eByControlPoint? It seems like the samples I checked are all using this mode for normals. But this won't fit my needs because I could have multiply normals on one control point.

Any help I'd really appreciate it.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RobertGoulet
in reply to: Anonymous

It is totally possible to set normals ByPolygonVertex, that is how they are also exported from Maya. But consider that if the mesh is connected to a skin, blendshape or anything that deforms it, they will get locked and Maya will recompute them upon import so they correctly draw.
Robert Goulet, FBX Dev Lead
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can duplicate the vertices for the all faces that needs to have their own normal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report