Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems importing FBX files with IK, exported from Maya

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Rick16bit
572 Views, 0 Replies

Problems importing FBX files with IK, exported from Maya

Hello,

A question about importing FBX files. A partner is making animations in Maya, exports them to FBX, and I would like to import them in my game. Just "ordinary" skeleton animations. We started simple with just a cylinder that bends.

Problem: as soon as he starts using IK/Controller bones in Maya, I can't properly import the files anymore. Either I miss bits in the importer code, or we do something wrong in Maya. One little problem... I don't have Maya, nor do I know much about animating in general so I'm shooting in the darkness here.

To a more technical level then. I'm using the FBX SDK. In his original FBX file, I can read the mesh, bone(hierarchy), and "keyframes", called "eSkeleton" nodes in the SDK I believe. Basically they tell if a joint moved, rotated and or scaled at a specific time. I believe the right word for this would be Forward Kinematics, right?

That works fine, but obviously an animator would like to use IK or other tricks to make life easier. But when doing that, I don't see any "eSkeleton" nodes in the FBX file anymore (or only partially). I bet it's stored in a different way, but I wouldn't know how to read that, and convert it back to an FK animation.

I thought Maya's FBX "Bake" option would solve this, but probably I misunderstand what Bake does, or we forget something else in Maya.

Ideas? Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report