Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX import...FBX vs DAE

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
KiernanMay6633
9260 Views, 0 Replies

FBX import...FBX vs DAE

Hi when importing files from SketchUp...DAE files are far more superior than FBX files.

I've noticed that:

1) FBX_DAE supports instances. FBX does not. Thus fbx files are 45mb where the fbx_dae files are 10mb.
2) FBX imports with multiple materials that are duplicates. fbx_dae imports materials correctly
3) scale is always correct with fbx_dae. fbx is incorrect

THe only thing that FBX does better than FBX_Dae is that it groups objects under groups rather than fbx_dae which will group and parent mesh nodes rather than using groups.

It will also import objects with multiple materials as one object whereas fbx_dae splits these into multiple objects which is a right pain.

My question for this thread is, who is responsible for developing the fbx_dae import plugin for Maya? Should I be talking to trimble or Autodesk?

I'm only requesting that fbx_dae imports geometry the same way as fbx does in terms of grouping mesh under group nodes, not grouping objects under mesh nodes. That would be perfect!
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report