Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX Export Autodesk Showcase

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
397 Views, 2 Replies

FBX Export Autodesk Showcase

Hey team,

I have just finished university and i have used autodesk the entire time i was on the course.

I did my dissertation on workflow and how autodesk talks to each other to convert and read files. But now i have come across a problem.

Now i have moved from the UK to Germany working for a company which uses a host of softwares. Including Maya, Alias and Showcase.

My Problem:

Ok, so the company get Data from a heap of car manufacturing companies and use all the softwares to convert data and use softwares as bridges to others. (hope that makes sense).

Example of issue - I get data from Audi its a Maya .Mb file and i need it as FBX to import into another software lets say Maxon C4D when you do a direct import as FBX the normals are not correct.

So.. I export to Autodesk Packet File to then move into showcase '2011' which carrys over 'materials' which then can be exported as .FBX and when taken into C4D the file is correct AND the materials are there.

Now we have just installed Showcase '2013' and the model sits in the software ok. BUT materials seem to be there as well but SUPER SHINY MATERIALS *which is different( and then when exported to FBX from showcase - I can then go to C4D then MATERIALS are there in the materials libary BUT not applied the model.

This seems to be only changing from 2011 showcase to 2013???

Why is this?

And it is not maya because i have exported in 2011, 2012 and 2013 maya. Its showcase?

Is there setting different which i need to change or alter?

Hope to get some help 🙂

Thanks for looking

Dan
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dan,

This seems to be in issue with Showcase and the way it's importing and exporting the files. Your best bet is to head over to the Showcase forums and ask the devs there. You can find the forums here in the Area, just down the hall to your left (these forums are dedicated to the FBX plug-in for Maya and Max, softwares like Showcase implement the FBX SDK in their own way, that is why it is best to ask the Showcase devs themselves):

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-showcase/general/

To make sure though, I'll ask you to do one test. If you export your model with materials from Maya, and then re-import that same model back into Maya, what are the results? If the results are the same, meaning everything is fine, then that tells us the plug-in is working and the problem does lie with Showcase.

Cheers,
Carlos
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey thanks for the reply. And yes i tried this test and it works fine in Maya!!! ;(

So its 100% showcase

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report