Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Selection Not Exporting Anim

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
427 Views, 10 Replies

Export Selection Not Exporting Anim

Hello,
I've recently been working on setting up a motion capture pipeline for our studio, utilizing Motionbuilder 2012 and Maya 2012. Some coworkers that are currently working on another project are doing something similar as well. They haven't been having the same issue I have, so I'm curious as to what the difference is.

The problem is as follows:
In a test scene, I created 3 joints to simulate an arm. I keyed them at frame 1, 12 and 24 to get some motion on them. I select the root join, and then the hierarchy with 'select -hi;', and go to Export Selection, with nothing but the Animation box checked. (I've also used the default Motionbuilder and Autodesk Media & Entertainment presets)I save out that FBX file, and when I import again, it imports the joints, without the animation data.

The only way I can get the animation data to export is if I select the animCurve nodes directly, along with the joints before using Export Selection.

The guys on the other project say that they just select the joint hierarchy, and export. They're using version 2012.1 and I'm using 2012.2 of the FBX plugin. Other than that, the software and settings were identical.

Any thoughts/recommendations? Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello molemansd7!

When you go to make your selection for export, you only have to select the root joint, not the whole skeleton (although, in my 3 joint test, selecting the whole hierarchy did not prohibit the animation from exporting properly). Using the default settings of both the Motionbuilder and Autodesk Media anc Entertainment presets, I was able to see my animation play back properly in MotionBuilder and Maya.

When you say "and when I import again", do you mean re-importing back to Maya or importing into Mobu? If you meant Mobu, what happens if you re-import your FBX back into Maya, do you still have the problem?

Also, you can test to see what happens when you do an Export All, perhaps you will get a different result.

If you are still having trouble, please feel free to attach your test file and we will take a look and see if we can find a solution.

Regards,
Carlos
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Carlos,
I was trying to import back into Maya just to see if the data was there.

I was able to use Export All to get the data out. Alternatively, I could select the joint(s), as well as the animCurves directly, and use export selection. This would work fine as well.

I'm attaching my files...
the .mb is the base scene file I was using to test.
the .fbx was made by selecting just the root joint (joint1), and exporting using the Media & Entertainment preset. The only change I made to the preset was I adjusted the file format to be ASCII instead of binary in case you wanted to look at it.

I also went through and uninstalled all previous .fbx plugins and deleted preference files before re-installing the latest version of the plugin. Still not working, though.

* I didn't see the files posted after submitting... did they get through alright?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Hi again molemansd7,

No, your files did not attach themselves to your post, I think the forum was not working properly earlier.

Please try again.

-Carlos
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Okay... trying to attach them again.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Hello again molemansd7,

I don't see them attached to your post. I sent you a pm with some instructions.

Regards,
Carlos
Message 7 of 11
Numerator

Need to use .zip to attach
Message 8 of 11
Steve_Curley

Please read this post for help with attachments.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

We never actually figured out what was wrong... though it seems to have been something in my preferences, or buried somewhere in my installation. The only way we were able to fix it was to wipe anything Maya related off my system, and reinstall. Kind of frustrating, but it seems to only be an issue I was having.
Message 10 of 11
vivekE5NH7

Hello!

I am working on Maya 2017, this version has a cool presets, like motion graphics, mash, bifrost, xgen and Arnold renderer.

in my current project i used mash, for a cool growing animations, but when i exported the 3d object to fbx and imported to unity, the object and its textures are importing, but the growing animations are not getting imported?

i tried all the options provided in maya 2017, like send to unity, game exporter, and fbx export. None of them worked.

I want my project, in unity, with its growing animations, done in maya 2017,utilizing MASH preset. 

Please tell me the procedure?

Message 11 of 11
vivekE5NH7

Hello!

I am working on Maya 2017, this version has a cool presets, like motion graphics, mash, bifrost, xgen and Arnold renderer.

in my current project i used mash, for a cool growing animations, but when i exported the 3d object to fbx and imported to unity, the object and its textures are importing, but the growing animations are not getting imported?

i tried all the options provided in maya 2017, like send to unity, game exporter, and fbx export. None of them worked.

I want my project, in unity, with its growing animations, done in maya 2017,utilizing MASH preset. 

Please tell me the procedure?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report