Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedding stray textures into FBX

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kimhutchison
553 Views, 2 Replies

Embedding stray textures into FBX

Hey guys,

I have a scene containing 'stray textures', but they are getting stripped at FBX export.
Any ideas as to what kind of workaround I can use to try and 'link those file nodes' so that they are embedded in the output?

e.g.:
Texture 'SkirtTextureA' is embedded in the fbx file because it is linked to 'SkirtMaterial' which in turn is linked to 'SkirtGeo'. However I would also want 'SkirtTextureB' and 'SkirtTextureC' (textures that are not attached to any material) to be embedded in the file as well.

I have tried using message attributes to link the material with the different textures, but no go.
Also originally in the scene I am using choice nodes and a remapColor node to do the texture swapping (but I don't necessarily want those nodes in the output).

I am using Maya2011.

Thanks,
Kim.

I found the following link which suggests plugging the textures in 'standard material channels', but it seems that even if a texture is linked to, say, a material's "color", well, if that material isn't applied to a geometry, it still will get stripped at export:

http://download.autodesk.com/us/fbx/20112/Maya/_index.html

Linking to a specific section of the fbx docs doesn't seem to work, good game Autodesk.
See Maya FBX Plug-in What’s New > Conversion support > File textures, procedural, and mapchannels

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: kimhutchison

Hello Kim,

Before you do any other testing, can you please make sure you are using the version 2013.3 of the plug-in just to make sure you have all the latest fixes.

The quickest and simplest way to do what you are asking is to use a Layered Texutre node. I was able to export and import any number of texture files using this setup.

I will look into the problem that you found with the documentation and update this thread with any findings.

I've looked into the map channel problem you were reporting and I am not finding the same thing. If you weren't using 2013.3 perhaps something is broken in the plug-in you have, but updating to the latest one should solve your problem. I linked a texture to all the map channels listed in the Documentation and all channels were still properly mapped when I imported back into Maya.

If you are still running into trouble, you can attach your file to this thread or send it to me directl at carlos.carpinteroautodesk.com and I will take a look at it.

Regards,
Carlos
Message 3 of 3
kimhutchison
in reply to: kimhutchison

This works using a layeredTexture and the latest version of the FBX plugin, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report