Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with FbxGeometryConverter.MergeMeshes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
andreas.ekstrand
1790 Views, 5 Replies

Problems with FbxGeometryConverter.MergeMeshes

Hi,

Using FBX Python SDK 2016.1.2, I'm trying to merge meshes in my model to improve performance. After using FbxGeometryConverter.MergeMeshes, I notice two disturbing facts:

1. If I export the model to an FBX file, it's significantly larger than if I don't do MergeMeshes - is that expected?

2. The worst issue: The texture mapping is destroyed after merging! It appears chaotic and crooked (see screenshots). I tried to restore the materials on the merged node afterwards like someone on this forum suggested but no no avail. If I collect meshes per material and merge these separately, there are less problems but there are still some places where the problem persists.

Right now the result either contains too many meshes to render correctly if I don't merge, or I get erroneous texture mapping if I do merge. Is there a bug in MergeMeshes? Can I avoid this behavior?

Regards,

Andreas

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Seriously....no one has a clue? Or just an idea of where to start looking in order to work around the problem?

Message 3 of 6

same problem here.

documentation says: "For layer element material, normal, smoothing, UV set, vertex color, binormal, tangent and polygon group, if any mesh misses these element, the merge for this kind of element is skipped."

so i created an UV layer for those meshes that don't need one (i filled it with zeros too).

nothing!

maybe if i miss even one of these layers, no one is merged at all? very strange!

i don't want to create a binormal or tangent layer for all my meshes if i don't need them!

Message 4 of 6

So by "nothing!" you mean the problem disappeared? Or that it didn't make any difference?

Message 5 of 6

i mean that the problem is still there.

UVs completely erased from the merged mesh...

Message 6 of 6

Anyone have a solution to the UV problem? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report