Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fbx file going into 3ds Max

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
666 Views, 6 Replies

Fbx file going into 3ds Max

G'day to all

I am attempting to take a file in Maya and putting it into 3ds Max. I have only recently started using the FBX converter and am not sure what I am doing wrong. When I import it into 3ds max Nothing appears or I get an error saying " polygon index error ".

Does anybody know what I might be missing here?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello ttandc!

We would need a little more information. I am going to assume that when you say "I have only recently started using the FBX converter" you actually man the FBX plug-ins. I say this because the FBX Coverter tool does not accept .mb, .ma or .max files. If this incorrect, and you are actually using the Coverter Tool, please say so, and tell us what kind of files are you trying to convert exactly.

So, assuming you are using the plug-ins, I would need the following things in order to help you:
1a. Are you beginning in Maya and exporting your file as FBX, then importing this FBX file into Max?

1b. Or, are you using the One-Click feature under File>Send to>Max to send your scene from Maya to Max?

2. IF you can, please attach the file that is giving you the error so that we can try and duplicate it here.

3. If you haven't done so, can you download the latest plug-ins for Maya and Max just to see if these will help fix the problems? You can find the latest plug-ins here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855

Regards,
Carlos
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

G'day CarlosC

You would not believe the amount of head banging I have done recently haha. I was searching the net for days and following all instructions to the letter and was getting NOTHING. I was going insane with this haha. And you would not believe what the problem was.

I have 2 computers, one is my workhorse and one is the internet connection. I do not hook up my work pc due to that pc is my money maker and I can not afford to have any viruses or spyware added to it that shouldn't be.

So I was taking the files out of maya as an fbx file on my internet pc and putting them onto a usb stick to then be transferred over to my work pc. It tuns out that after all my frustrations in trying to get maya files into max it was my usb stick that was the problem. The usb stick was corrupted and therefore any file I put onto it was corrupted.

I changed usb sticks today and am now able to load fbx files from maya into max 😄

Thanks for your reply 🙂
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

But in answer to your question I was

beginning in Maya and exporting my file as FBX, then importing this FBX file into Max.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Actually, if you don't mind 'I am having one minor question still 🙂

When I try to import the file into Max the Model is gone. The animation and some dummy's are there but I'm not sure why the model is missing.

Thanks very much for your help in this matter and apologies if these questions have arisen here a few million times before I did 🙂

regards

Ttandc

P.S. Sorry I can't attach the file as even compressed in a .rar file it is still too big for this websites limitations.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Nevermind 🙂 I worked it out 😉
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hello again ttandc!

First, I'm happy you found the solution to your first problem, that must have been a huge relief. That's the first time I've heard of a corrupted USB stick. But, good to know in case something similar comes up again.

Now, for your problem of missing geometry, there is one test that you can do immediately that will eliminate the FBX plug-in as the source of the problem. Can you please export your file from Max and then re-import it into a clean Max scene. If everything is as it should be, we can say that the plug-in is receiving and storing all your file information correctly.

Secondly, assuming that the plug-in is working, import your FBX file into Maya and open the Outliner. There is a possibility that your geometry is not visible in the viewport because it is hidden due to the visibility on your root node being at off. So, first check to see if the geometry has actually been brought into Maya by confirming that you can see the meshes in the Outliner. If they are there, the next step would be to see if your root node, or any parent node has it's visibility set to off since this is transferred to the children.

This visibility issue has been addressed in the later versions of the plug-in. If you don't have it, you can download version 2012.2 here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855

Let us know what your results are.

Regards,
Carlos.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report