Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX animation Jitter

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
tnkVS
8000 Views, 27 Replies

FBX animation Jitter

Hi

I'm having an issue with jittering animation on a number of FBX files I've exported. I have seen the issue mentioned on these forums before but I haven't managed to find a solution for it posted.

Basically I am exporting an animation from 3ds max character studio that somehow inherits a jitter on the characters arm when it is exported as an FBX.

The jitter is not present in the max file but will appear on the Exported FBX when imported back into Max.

I have attached the max file. If you export an FBX, hen import the animation back into a max scene you'll observe that the right arms is now shaking. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated : ]

T

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
matthew.d
in reply to: tnkVS

Hi @tnkVS,

It looks like the plug-in is receiving wrong data from the GetNodeTM() function. Try exporting using 3dsMax 2015, there should be no jitter. The issue is occuring during the export from 3ds Max to FBX.

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 3 of 28
tnkVS
in reply to: matthew.d

Thanks Matt,

Unfortunately that didn't work. I am still seeing the jitter, but I am also getting an error message when I bring the FBX back into max.

"The following parent and/or ancestor node of the Link(s) is/are not part of the BindPose definition."

then follows a long list of bones

"The following Link node(s) is/are not part of the BindPose definition."

then follows a long list of bones

Does this suggest there is something wrong with the character skinning? I'll try investigate that.

Thanks

Terry

Message 4 of 28
tnkVS

Hello

I'm still encountering this problem. Unfortunately exporting from max 2015 hasn't helped.

I thought there was a possible issue with the skinning as I was seeing an error about bind poses, but if I export it as an FBX without the skinned mesh and re import the FBX back into max I can still see the shake on the arm bones. It is the right clavicle that has picked up some noise like rotation.

The shake is happening on the right arm, which was animated with an object as the IK target. Resetting that to world or baking it out so that there are only free keys dosen't make any difference. 

I've tried a lot of things with no luck, exporting it from different bipeds, with and without keys everyframe. I created a fresh biped rig and exported the animation from that. I also deleted all the keys from the arm which is shaking so that it returned to it's default fig mode position, exported that and it still shakes.

I have installed service pack 3 for 2016 and tried again from there with no luck.

I have this happening on 5 or 6 different animations across our project now and I am very concerned that the animation is going to need to be redone.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Terry

Message 5 of 28
tnkVS

Hello

I am still seeing this jittering animation issue, now across multiple animations. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Message 6 of 28
BobbyDL

I am getting jittering with with part of my head mesh/rig when I export to fbx (version 2015.1 Release (0) and selected Binary Type and the latest FBX File Format Version FBX 2014. Version FBX 2013 does export bone animations at all. I am using service pack 2 (not service pack 3 because it has problems with biped mixer) and I haven't had this issue before exporting with this version. I have skinned mesh using bones and I am using similar wire parameters for each eyelid but it is strange that one set of eyelids has no jitters throughout the animation and the other one has slight jittery up and down movement almost throughout my 2000 frames of animation. The rig is literally identical just on opposite sides.
Message 7 of 28
matthew.d
in reply to: BobbyDL

Hi all,

A clarification question so I can try to reproduce this. Are you guys baking animation prior to exporting with a specific settings or during the export? The FBX exporter can bake animations on any object. The FBX exporter defaults the values set for the scene's timeline. Any preset values are not used when you load the preset. Do you guys possibly have extra frames or nodes at play here?

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 8 of 28
BobbyDL

I always bake mine and I have no extra frames. Not sure about other
people's set ups. Mine only happens with the rotation animation with my
eyelids which has wire parameters controlled by manipulators.
Message 9 of 28

Hi, 

I'm not sure about your issue but it seems related to mine, so let's share this: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fbx-forum/evaluator-rotationpivot-and-pivot-sets/m-p/5949367/highligh...

I also got jittering animations on transforms in generals. Reseting the pivots fixed it, but some parts are still not clear for me.

I hope it helps!

Message 10 of 28
Anonymous

This is still an issue for me. I've found, after digging up several other messages across other boards, that this has been a persistent issue since at least 2010, with no known cause or solution. It isn't a regular issue or else it would have been fixed by now, it just seems to trigger randomly.

Unless I'm doing something wrong when I've skinned the thing I've made or I'm making some kind of error in animating, it seems that the FBX exporter just seems to randomly decide to make a part of the body (for me its the hands) shake after export, regardless of which settings have been chosen. Note that I've never had an error like this before and I've been using this same method of exporting/importing animations throughout University over every project I've done, ever.

I first pursued a fix to this issue over on Unreal answers since I thought the issue might be based in Unreal when it was importing the things, but it's based in the exporting.

Helppic1.png

Here's a video of what's happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UL--8EDfk

You can see after exporting the hands become jittery and odd. This is not just in Unreal, but in the exported FBX files themselves.

I really hope I can get some help with this. I've no experience with scripting so I cant go in and start doing MAXscripty pivoty things. I've reset the xforms on everything, tried exporting, didn't work. What can I do? Create a new mesh and skin and just try and go from there?

Message 11 of 28
samsonite151
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe post the exact .FBX file so we don't have to guess what export options you're using.

The problem could be just fixing a few quaternion rotation flips, but that has to be done in code.  It's not something you will find as an exporter option.

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: samsonite151

My bad. Here, I've attached one that jitters and one that doesn't. Sorry for the confusion. If there's any more needed, just let me know.

Message 13 of 28
samsonite151

You posted a video of a walking animation, could you post that one instead.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous

Huh. I thought I replied to this message but apparently I didnt. Here's the ones from the video, the walking ones, in Max file and in FBX file. Just let me know if there's anything else I can give or do or anything. Smiley Tongue

Message 15 of 28
km
Participant

Hi,

i am exporting Maya 2015 to unity 5.5.4f1 fbx file .

i have seen issue. basically i am exporting 3D Character Animation from Autodesk Maya 2015 64 bit smooth animation. export FBX file somuch jitter on the character Legs , wher it is exported as an FBX. exported animation file (FBX) when imported Unity Jitter is there .

how to slove?

Message 16 of 28
samsonite151

My guess, whatever problem you're having is happening on export from 3dsmax when the FBX is created.  Your FBX file doesn't seem fixable (I would trash it). I would remove Unreal/Unity from the equation, and just focus on how the file was exported.

If this FBX file was the Student Version of 3dsmax, perhaps there's something wrong with it.

Message 17 of 28
km
Participant

Hi,

i am using Auto desk Maya Licences Version 2015-2018.

the major problem is  autodesk maya 2015 - 2018 version  animation file export FBX format . jerks is there and tangents more smooth and higher set key tangents overlap . how to solve ?

send me process any demo or documentation .

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous

@samsonite151 wrote:

My guess, whatever problem you're having is happening on export from 3dsmax when the FBX is created.  Your FBX file doesn't seem fixable (I would trash it). I would remove Unreal/Unity from the equation, and just focus on how the file was exported.

If this FBX file was the Student Version of 3dsmax, perhaps there's something wrong with it.

Do you think that'd be the best way to fix it? A reinstall of my student version then just re-export all my FBX files? I'm going to be changing versions around pretty soon so I'm going to have to reinstall soon anyway but would that really help? I'm just making sure, since before there was discussion about  the rotations being wrong or something like that.

Regardless, I'll give it a try real soon and inform the thread on how it turns out.

Message 19 of 28
samsonite151

It's not a quaternion flip issue.  I tested your file against it, and it still caused jitters.  That's why I said your exported FBX file is not fixable and should be deleted.  I did notice some of your nodes had non-unity and negative scaling factors, but not entirely sure if that would mess up export.

Last resort is to find another file format that can export animation from 3dsmax.

Message 20 of 28
Anonymous

Ahh. Thank you for the help regardless, friend. It's very much appreciated. I'll post in this thread again if things get fixed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report