Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting FBX to Unity 5.4 from Maya 2016 problems

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1360 Views, 4 Replies

Exporting FBX to Unity 5.4 from Maya 2016 problems

Hello all,

I am new to these forums, but not new to forum discussion in general. If this is incorrectly posted, please forgive me. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Nick, and I am getting back into 3d workflows after about 10 years of being away from it. A lot has changed since then. I am currently having a problem in my workflow. Allow me to detail that for you.

I am starting from Agisoft Photoscan 1.2.5, exporting models to Maya 2016 for cleanup and conversion for final export to Unity Engine 5.4. I am able to import the Photoscan FBX into Maya and view it fine. The quality is good, and the textures that photoscan creates are just beautiful! Although there are too many faces that I need to decimate, and surfaces that need smoothing. I then attempt to use file - send to Unity - send selection - select folder "assets" in the Unity project folder - name the FBX, select "embed media" - export.

At the end of Maya exporting the FBX, the model comes out fine in Unity, but there is no texture. The Maya Console generates an error

--- "The following texture(s) will not be embedded in your scene, as the plug-in cannot locate them:

Cyberpunk model 002 FBX.jpg" ---

I don't understand this, and googling and searching on yahoo haven't turned up a lot of significant information. Please assist me in correcting this. If it helps, the following is an explanation about what I intend to do. I want to photoscan real-world objects using Agisoft Photoscan to generate 3d models. Export them to Maya for clean-up and export to Unity. Import into unity to be playable environments or real-world objects into the play space.

I have had success in doing this, and I know that other people are doing it, but my successes have been sort of hit and miss.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
viviane.rochon
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi nkontgas,

It looks like the FBX file from Photoscan may not have its textures embedded. Is it possible that you moved or deleted the textures after importing the FBX file to Maya ?

Look into the Image Name property and update it to where the jpg file is.

Capture.PNG

I hope this helps you fix the issue.

Viviane Rochon Montplaisir
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: viviane.rochon

Hi Viviane! Thanks so much for the advice! I'm sure that I didn't delete the texture, although I may be lacking certain understanding of how textures are generated and exported with Photoscan.

In Photoscan, I have the basic "shaded" texture, which is flat and doesn't replicate the surface qualities from the source photos, just the colors. Then there is the "texture" that is compiled later in the workflow, which very accurately replicates the surface qualities from the source photos.

When I load the FBX into Maya, I can view the basic, colored, "shaded" texture (and in Hypershade there exists a material with the "texture" applied to it), however I am unable to get the high quality photorealistic texture to import and load. This is where I am really confused.

Additionally, when I export the model from Maya to the Unity Engine 5.4, the models often come out with strangely displaced geometry, which I also don't understand.

Any additional advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much, and kindest regards!

Nick
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: viviane.rochon

Update: I tried the suggested solution, Vivianne, but unfortunately it didn't change the outcome. I was able to make Maya point to the correct location (which it hadn't been previously), but the outcome was still the same. Anything else I could try? Thanks so much!
Message 5 of 5
viviane.rochon
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi nkontgas,

Could you send me your Maya file, and we could look into it.

Viviane Rochon Montplaisir

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report