Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assert when loading obj file containing utf-8 string

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
heelys
2298 Views, 6 Replies

assert when loading obj file containing utf-8 string

when I load a obj file containing utf-8 character I get the following assert for each utf-8 character:

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program: C:\Perforce\Epic\cpu6\Engine\Binaries\Win64\libfbxsdk.dll
File: minkernel\crts\ucrt\src\appcrt\convert\isctype.cpp
Line: 36

Expression: c >= -1 && c <= 255

with the following callstack:

libfbxsdk.dll!_chvalidator() Unknown
libfbxsdk.dll!fast_check() Unknown
> libfbxsdk.dll!isspace() Unknown
libfbxsdk.dll!fbxsdk::FbxString::UnPad(enum fbxsdk::FbxString::EPaddingType,char) Unknown
libfbxsdk.dll!fbxsdk::FbxReaderObj::ReadLine(char *,char *) Unknown
libfbxsdk.dll!fbxsdk::FbxReaderObj::Read(class fbxsdk::FbxDocument *) Unknown
libfbxsdk.dll!fbxsdk::FbxImporter::ImportProcess(class fbxsdk::FbxDocument *) Unknown
libfbxsdk.dll!fbxsdk::FbxImporter::Import(class fbxsdk::FbxDocument *,bool) Unknown

Is there a way to configure the fbx sdk objreader to make sure it can read utf-8/unicode character? I try with fbx preview and have no issue with the file. With maya it feel like a rename strategy go throught the file and the invalid character get change to something else like: M0034_Стул -> M0034_Ð_Ñ_уÐ_.

Thanks

Alexis

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Numerator
in reply to: heelys

Can you post chartest.mtl?

Message 3 of 7
heelys
in reply to: Numerator

Hi Numerator,

sorry I forget the mtl, here is the file.

Alexis

Message 4 of 7
regalir
in reply to: heelys

The assertion you received is from Windows 'isspace()' function and I am afrait it cannot be disabled from the FBX SDK.

The FBX SDK OBJ Reader does correctly read the file (and the UTF-8 name) and stores the group name as the ANSI representation of the UTF-8 string, therefore, the string "M0034_Стул" becomes "M0034_Стул"

The assertion is raised because we pass this ANSI string to the FbxString::UnPad() function to remove possible leading and trailing spaces but the character '»" resolves to the integer -69 and isspace is not happy! 🙂

In the FbxReview application you don't see any "problem" because there is no way to see the object name. Maya and 3dsMax have their own OBJ readers and I don't know how they decided to handle UTF-8 encoding. For sure, Maya has more stricter rules about the supported characters in the object names and the '¡', '‚' and '»' are replaced with an underscore.

Message 5 of 7
piddy
in reply to: regalir

I'm guessing the bug I found is related.

When I try to load an FBX file from a folder that contains "non-ascii" characters, then it fails.

eg. "C:\temp\Tomaš\Cone.fbx" will fail, however the same object just from "C:\temp\Cone.fbx" will work.

Any idea if this can be fixed? Many Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
regalir
in reply to: piddy

Not quite! 😉

The previous post was related to Unicode/WideChar names inside the OBJ file. In your case, it is the file path/name that contains Unicode/WidChar characters. The FBX SDK assumes that all the strings it manipulates are UTF-8 therefore, if you make sure to convert your file path/name to UTF-8 before passing it to the FbxImporter::Initialize(), you should be able to read your file.

for example:

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{    
char* utf8 = NULL; // argv[1] is a file path/name (ex: C:\Temp\Tomaš\cube.obj)
FbxAnsiToUTF8(argv[1], utf8); // utf8 = C:\Temp\Tomaš\cube.obj
FbxString fileName(utf8);
FbxFree(utf8);
const bool lImportStatus = lImporter->Initialize(fileName.Buffer(), -1, pManager->GetIOSettings());

The FBX SDK provides the following conversion functions:

• FbxUTF8ToWC
  • FbxWCToUTF8

and, on Windows platform only:

• FbxWCToAnsi
  • FbxAnsiToWC
  • FbxAnsiToUTF8
  • FbxUTF8ToAnsi

Message 7 of 7
piddy
in reply to: regalir

Thanks a million for the example and explanation! Works wonderfully!

I had taken my code from another example so it never crossed my mind it would need converting. Lesson learned!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report