Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android version of FBX SDK

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
leonzh
6627 Views, 6 Replies

Android version of FBX SDK

Hello,

I'm on a task that will require load fbx file on ios and android.

Q1. And I found seems FBX SDK doesn't have a version on android currently, I wonder if Autodesk have plan to 

provide an android version of FBX SDK?(Or if you could provide FBX SDK source code I would be willing to port it to android)

Q2. So for now I could choose to convert fbx to obj and load obj file on android, I wonder if 100%

of content that in fbx could be exported to obj format?

Thanks,

Leon

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
kevinvandecar
in reply to: leonzh

Hello Leon,

For Q1: Unfortunately there are no plans to port the FBX SDK to work on Android at this time.

For Q2: Yes, the OBJ format cold be used for the mesh representation, and some material support. However, note that FBX format can contain additional properties, and also supports animation. OBJ format does not support those aspects, so 100% fidelity could not be maintained. If you only need certain aspects (mainly geometry), certainly OBJ could probably handle it. Depending on the source data, I would perform a variety of tests to ensure that it will work for you in majority of cases. Note that FBX SDK directly supports output to OBJ. See here: http://help.autodesk.com/view/FBX/2017/ENU/?guid=__files_GUID_0B122E01_7DB8_48E3_AADA_5E85A197FEE1_h...

hope it helps,

kevin

Kevin Vandecar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 7
leonzh
in reply to: kevinvandecar

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the answers.

If obj does not support animation, I think I'd better stick with fbx, is there a 

specification on fbx text format?

Thanks,

Leon

Message 4 of 7
kevinvandecar

Hi Leon,

Sorry, but we do not provide any file format specification for FBX. Our options for Android are limited.

Rather than OBJ, maybe the collada format wold work? That one is more complete and is open. Again, the FBX SDK can export to it.

Hope it helps,

kevin

Kevin Vandecar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 5 of 7
leonzh

Thanks for all the advises.

Leon

Message 6 of 7
opengpu

still not support Android?

Message 7 of 7
opengpu

still not support Android?
is it because engine always import FBX and then export their own formats which only store part of data from FBX, then engines use their own formats on all the platforms they support?
so autodesk won't officially provide fbxsdk and Libs for Android forever?

so if want to render FBX model directly on Android, what Libs are supposed to be used? such as Assimp, and any others?

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report