Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Process Analysis: Processor should not start until fully loaded

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1007 Views, 11 Replies

Autodesk Process Analysis: Processor should not start until fully loaded

Good day Everyone!

I hope you can help me with my simulation. By the way I work in a foaming company. In my process, I have a source (long split/trimming machine), 4 circular machines (each should be loaded with 8 short foam blocks before starting) and a single take-away machine (which is not a problem because it can only process 1 short block at a time. 

I thought of assuming that a single raw material is equal to 8 short blocks, I just have to change the loading/unloading time and the processing time.

But I think the idea of simulation and see how things will work will not be seen in my model if I do that.

Thank you very much!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
liqinomickey
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

Thank you for using PA. Currently I do not have a perfect solution for your issue, but several imperfect ideas:

1. Change the 4 circular machines to a “Merge operation” processor. And the merge operation will take 8 part from source and only produce 1 product. And before the end product node, add 1 processor to split all products from 4 circular machines, then output to end product. ( you still need to change the processing time)
  2. Set a transportation lot size on the connection between each processor and source. The connection will send 1 lot of 8 blocks a time. (unloading material cannot happen at the same time of loading)

Out of curiosity, may I ask what output routing did you set with the source?

Mickey

Mickey.Li@Autodesk.com

Mickey Li
Product Manager
ACS Docs Platform feature team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: liqinomickey

Hi Mickey,

Thank you very much for the solution. I'll just adjust and tweak some processing time to make my simulation more realistic.

Setting the lot size is really helpful. Adding a processor after the four cutting machines is something I forgot to do(I'm still in the process of learning to use this cool simulation software) . These four cutting machines'output will use the same conveyor so adding a processor is a great idea. BTW,Is it just right to use a buffer for my conveyor?

I used "shortest queue" for source output routing. This software is really cool and user friendly.\

Thank you very much for the knowledge man.

Message 4 of 12
liqinomickey

Glad I could help, and more glad our software could help!

"BTW,Is it just right to use a buffer for my conveyor?"

As you might have noticed, there is also a property in Connection, CAPACITY. This property will allow multiple items (lots) exist in one connection, which we would like to simulate a conveyor.

But if you would like to use a buffer to simulate conveyor,

1. then you have to fill in the properties of this conveyor to a connection (transportation time) and to this buffer (capacity).
  2. While, doing so, you get different attention on what result you would like to see. We counts how many items are in a buffer's belly all the time, so you will get a report on that.
  3. And, you can set the distribution type of this buffer. if there are multiple downstream threads.

Thank you for using our software and please keep feeding us back, so we could improve our software towards your needs!

Mickey

Mickey.Li@Autodesk.com

Mickey Li
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Thank you very much Sir Mickey! Sorry for the late reply for I was tasked to work on another project in a remote plant. Nevertheless, I was able to get the results I need. Thank you very much for the tips. I'll keep on posting questions on this community and I am really excited how this software will improve in the next 2 years. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I think my merger doesn't work correctly. It always sends the product to the next processor aside from the action type what do I have to set to make it merge 18 blocks before sending it to the circular cutting machine?

Message 7 of 12
liqinomickey

Sorry, I didn't quite get your issue. Are you talking about Operation 29, could you send a property snapshot of that processor? Or if it is possible, could you send a model adskfpa file to me?

Thanks,

Mickey

Mickey Li
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Sure thing. I tried tweaking the minimum quantity for each processor to achieve what I want but I still can't make it. I hope you can help me my friend. Thank you very much.

Message 9 of 12
liqinomickey

Hi,

What Kenny asked you to change was attached "screenshot1".

What Xuesong was aksing you to do was to get rid of the Merge and splitting processor. Instead, using a connection lot size to simulate the 18 item process. "Screenshot2"

I think, in both ways, the issue could be solved. 

Mickey

Mickey Li
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Wow! Thanks man! It's now what I want to see Thank you very much for the great help! You just made my day!

Message 11 of 12
liqinomickey

Cheers! May I ask a favor? When you have time, could we set up a conference call or something. We would very much like to know how our software solved your real case. Thank you!

Mickey

Mickey.Li@Autodesk.com

Mickey Li
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Woah! That would be cool! I'll let you know when I  will have the time. I need to finish 3 more options for my proposed product line and their CAD layout, too. I'm really looking forward to that! Thank you very much.

EDIT:

I am also trying to animate it in Cinema 4D I think that will help our future conversation go smoother. Thanks again man.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report