Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly file size increases when a shrinkwrap model is placed and saved.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
599 Views, 4 Replies

Assembly file size increases when a shrinkwrap model is placed and saved.

Dear Autodesk Community,

Can any one brief me on the following why the file size of the assembly increases when it is been placed with the shrink wrapped part is placed.

Following are our work needs with reduced file size EOD.

A) We have a customer model (Assy) of a factory line model.

B) We get the file in STEP format.

C) We convert it into inventor phase.so, it has a master assy with all substitutes (.iam/.ipt etc..)

D) This file size comes across (600 MB)

E) Our end of work delivery is the challenge to reduce the file size less than 50 MB.

F) we do some internal deletes/ BIM options by deriving the sub-assy into a part.

G) So, when we do shrink wrap we can only delete the holes and patches but not the Chamfer & fillets.

H) So we follow the some operations like first we shrink wrap (So holes and patches goes & save as apart)

I) Then again we derive the shrink wrapped part and work with BIM operations (Of course the file size of this part increases).

J) Then all the deletion of faces done we one again derive it to another part.(Finally i get only a single body with all enveloped converted to solid and i get a reduced file size of a sub-assy as a part).

K) this repeats for other sub-assy & parts.

L) Finally my assy will be replaced with this reduced individual assy. as partsin the tree. (See image_01)

M) then finally i shrink wrap or derive the whole assy. i get the full assy to 40.8 MB.

N) when its a part the file size is 40.8 MB & once it is placed inside the new assy file or a Published asset of FDS.

O) The file size of assy. increases to 200 MB (See image_02). (I have attached the images for the reference) 

P) WHY.....? is this so, what happens at the back ground.

Please can any one take this as a priority and let make the work happen as per our request in the file size reduction. We have a huge amount of flow is paused due to this.

Regards,

Suresh.RM

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
XuesongBai
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for sharing so detailed workflow.
So you aim at creating an lightweight factory asset from foreign CAD model,correct?
Your method make.sense. Two more questions:
1.Have you broken the link from sub-assembly in the shrinkwrap part?
2.Are you planning to create the layout in Inventor? What are the next downstream workflow? E.g,will you generating installation drwaing in Inventor drawing?

Thanks,
-Xuesong
Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: XuesongBai

Hi Xuesong;

First thank you for your quick response,

As reply to your questions please find the below 

Your method make.sense (Thank you). Two more questions:
1.Have you broken the link from sub-assembly in the shrinkwrap part? - YES I AM BREAKING THE LINK (Reason otherwise the file size will be lesser  bcoz its is referencing, so we break the link and get the actual file of the assy. size as part for further editing as mention in before writing points (I,J,K,L,M).

2.Are you planning to create the layout in Inventor? What are the next downstream workflow? E.g,will you generating installation drawing in Inventor drawing? (Are you talking about FDS Asset publishing) if find the below points;

i) We once reduce the file size and get the whole assy as a part after all previous mentioned operations done.

ii) We will get into asset publishing activity.

iii)where we make landing surface changes and insertion point change, add description & properties.

iv) and publish the asset. so, the publish will have 2D & 3D as assy in the router folder.

v) after this we open the autocad place the 2d and sync with inventor layout. (so were all the published 2d will be over halled by the 3d model that we simplified

vi) Issue is this even after publish the file size of the assy is less showing 10MB but once the published asset assy is opened and saved or placed in the layout and saved the file size increase to 200MB as mentioned earlier.

WE HAVE A DOUBT WHEN WE DO ALL THIS BIM OPERATION BY DELETING THE  CHAMFER & FILLETS OR DELETING SOME FACES AND THEN DERIVING AS A SINGLE BODY TO ANOTHER PART THE FILE SIZE REDUCES.

WILL THIS OPERATIONS AGAIN LEGENDS AT THE BACK GROUND AND LOOP TO THE ASSY. OR ANY OTHER PROBLEM DUE TO PUBLISHING....?

BUT TO MY KNOWLEDGE I SEE ALL WE ARE BREAKING THE LINK SO NO REFERENCE TO BE FOLLOWED. THEN THE FEATURE WE ADD TO REDUCE THE CHAMFER AND FILLET AND DELETING OR ENVELOPING WILL CONVERT TO A SINGLE SOLID IN THE NEXT LEVEL OF DERIVING SO NO CHANCE OF OLDER REFERENCE. IF REFERENCED THE FILE SIZE WILL NOT REDUCE. BUT IT IS GETTING REDUCED.

REALLY THIS IS WERE I AM GETTING CONFUSED..(BUT DOUBTING ONTO)

THINK I HAVE GIVEN SUFFICIENT DETAIL (IF REQUIRED WILL HAVE A WEB-EX or SKYPE MEETING ORGANISED YOUR TIME OR MINE)..

NEEDS SOLUTION AT THE EARLIEST AS MENTIONED WE ARE PAUSED WITH LOT OF WORK..

THANK YOU. 

Message 4 of 5
XuesongBai
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Suresh,

Could you please try to turn off the "Enable Express Mode Workflow" option in the Application Options>-Assembly Tab? And then try your workflow again or just resave your assembly?

Express Mode.png

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: XuesongBai

Hi Xuesong,

Thank you really it solved my issue and we have started publishing the assets. Thank you once again...Smiley Happy

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

xnewphotothankyou.jpg.pagespeed.ic.L_TaVCM5kh.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report