cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a shrinkwrapped reference of a main assembly for sub Assembly drawings

Create a shrinkwrapped reference of a main assembly for sub Assembly drawings

My company does large package sorting facilities with one hundred or more powered conveyors. We split up the system into drawings of two or three conveyors but all of these drawings need to reference the conveyor and structures around them. I have been adding the individual assemblies that I need into other assemblies as references as listed here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General-Discussion/Show-a-component-from-top-assembly-in-mult... I have run into an issue.

Insert ConvA.asm into ConvB.asm as a reference. Now when I make ConvB.dwg or .idw I can show the reference. What about when I want to reference ConvB.dwg in ConvA.dwg? I can't insert ConvB into ConvA since that would create a circular reference.

My second problem is that it is very cumbersome to add multiple sub assemblies into each other and then create custom levels of detail to show the references in the subassembly but not in the main assembly.

I think I have come up with a fairly straightforward solution to these problems.

What I would like to be able to do is select an option that would take the main assembly and suppress the subassembly (to eliminate circular references), shrinkwrap it, and insert it into the subassembly as a reference part that is suppressed when the subassembly is in main assembly. This would allow for easy collaboration between multiple engineers working on different subassemblies and greatly reduce the amount of time spent adding references.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report