Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaded representation of ADT objects in Inventor Factory

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
strijkp
1114 Views, 5 Replies

Shaded representation of ADT objects in Inventor Factory

Is it possible to have the Autocad Architectural objects like walls, doors etc..... in a DWG Overlay visible as shaded objects in Inventor?

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
coreyparks
in reply to: strijkp

Not currenth though it has also been requested.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 3 of 6
bagchis

Here is a workaround solution.

In AutoCAD Architecture, type in command "Convertto3dsolids", and select the Architecture entities. This will convert them to 3D solids (object looses the ACA intelligence, so you may want to retain the backup copy). Save the DWG file.

In Inventor, Import the 3D DWG file and save it as an IAM/IPT file. (On the Open dialog, choose Options --> Import. Make sure you select the Option --> 3d Solids)

You can then add this IAM/IPT file into your layout as a regular Inventor file.

Hope this helps.

Shibai

Message 4 of 6
coreyparks
in reply to: bagchis

I am assuming that this would create a lot more overhead in the drawing though wouldn't it?  I already have enough problems with my old 32 bit system handling the file sizes.  I think I will stick to seeing everything solid in Navisworks, way less overhead there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 5 of 6
strijkp

Well, the reason why my client wants to have the building as a solid in the FDS layout is to use the building geometry to position the assets in relation to the walls using the assemble tool. Thanks to Shibai for the process to move from ADT to Inventor as a solid which works pretty well! 

Message 6 of 6
coreyparks

So it's not for visualization?  To handle some of that I have created a part with 2 extruded surfaces in the z axis and then defined it as an asset.  I can then place this asset and snap to any part of the dwg overlay I want.  Once it's placed I can ground it.  I now have surfaces to take dimensions from and place geometry to if needed.  This has been working rather well for me so far.  See the attached part.

Corey Parks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report