Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory Suite link 2d autocad drawing to 3d inventor model

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
craigzcool
2416 Views, 7 Replies

Factory Suite link 2d autocad drawing to 3d inventor model

Hi,

using the factory suite I have worked out how to add assets into an assembly and using'sync to autocad' the 2d layout drawing is generated. However my problem is I have an existing layout drawing that i want to use, and the layout contains blocks of straight roller conveyors (I have the 3d straight roller conveyor as an inventor part). How to I link the autocad block to the inventor part so that when factory suite loads the assembly with the existing layout drawing, It automatically imports the inventor part whereever is sees the block in the layout.

Thanks in advance 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
XuesongBai
in reply to: craigzcool

Hi there,

As long as my umderstanding is correct, you blocks of striaght roller conveyors are created by yourself, not published by Factory Asset builder.

If so, Factory suite(FDS) don't support to link the existing block to 3d inventor model currently. Maybe you need to add the existing layout drawing into 3D layout as dwg overlay by Add DWG overlay command in Inventor, and then place the 3d straight roller conveyors by snaping to existing dwg.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 8
craigzcool
in reply to: XuesongBai

Thanks for the help, i have tried the 'snap to dwg overlay' and that work fine. However, is it posssible to overwride the default 2d view that is generated when syncing to autocad - either before or after the sync? so could i replace the 2d dwg of the 3d part that the factory suite uses with my own 2d drawing? 

My problem is that the existing dwgv layout that ive been given has block which are a standard throughout the company (which refer to a stock item). And when i create a visual 3d model of that stock iten and place it in the assembly, I dont want the 'sync to autocad' to place its own 2d interpretation on the layout drawing as this would confuse my customer.

Any advice?

Message 4 of 8
XuesongBai

Hello there,

Before Sync AutoCAD, You can edit the default 2d dwg view that is generated by factory asset builder when published the 3D model as factory library asset. So you need to replace the block in the default 2d dwg with your own 2D drawings,please make sure the position should be same as before.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 5 of 8
craigzcool

Thanks for that advice, it worked a treat 🙂

My final problem now is working with external dwg's 'New Layout from DWG' ... when i start a new layout from an existing dwg that contains the identical block to the modified conveyor, i want inventor to scan the existing layer for any blocks which corrilate to assests that i have. To test this, i then placed the 3d conveyor in the assembly and synced to autocad. The old sketch was loaded to the 3d part, not the modified sketch.

This leads me to think that any block edits in autoCAD arnt perminant. I explored the location where the aaets are stored adn found the 2d folder, but it was read only.

From a different perspective - i noticed that an autoCAD layout drawin has refernces to external files, could i somehow automailcally link my own external files? (i havent thought too much into this aproach yet.

(ive attached screen shots showing my problems - it takes a few messages)

Thanks again, Craig

Message 6 of 8
craigzcool

more images

Message 7 of 8
craigzcool

and some more

Message 8 of 8
XuesongBai

Hello,

Can you help share the sample with me by Xuesong,bai@autodesk.com.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report