Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer/System Requirements

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jfrank90
726 Views, 7 Replies

Computer/System Requirements

Hey Guys,

I am going to be building a custom computer(unless I can find one pre-configured) for our office to handle the size files we have. I have been the only one currently using Factory Design Suite and the sync process is painfully slow, (I have started using sub-layouts which helps some) The file I am currently using is actually quite small compared to some of the designs we do, as an example currently a layout we are working on is a 900,000 sq. ft warehouse, 4 levels in some areas, has 123 layers and is around 11MB as an AutoCAD file. There are 1000's of feet of conveyor, 1000's of racks and so on.. My computer meets the system requirements but could never handle a project like that. The current file I am using is only 2MB... If I wanted to build something that could handle something like the above project with ease, how much RAM, what kind of processor, graphics card and so on? Solid State Hard Drive? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
XuesongBai
in reply to: jfrank90

Hi there,

There is really huge project.

As far as I can suggest, the more memory is desired.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 8
jfrank90
in reply to: XuesongBai

Haha, yes I know it will be costly and it is a huge project, but those are the kinds of bids we want to have the advantage on and win. I have used the factory design suite and the "walk-throughs" are exactly what we are looking for. Could you give me any suggestions as far as Ram, Graphics Card, Hard Drive, Processor, etc...?

16GB of Ram, quad core processor? Any suggestions would be grateful.

Message 4 of 8
XuesongBai

I am using Dell Precison T5610. Just for your information.

-Xuesong

Message 5 of 8
wangcha

Please try this

Quad-core x64 processor or better

16GB RAM or better

Microsoft® Direct3D 11 capable graphics card(1 GB) or higher or equivalent

60 GB of free space on system drive

Solid State Hard Drive would help on performance improvement.

Thanks,

-Charles

Message 6 of 8
jfrank90
in reply to: wangcha

Thanks for the response, I am on here looking at computers and there are so many options available I am not sure what is to much and what is not enough. If I go through HP and customize the Z Book 17 would the below workstation suffice?

Intel Core i7-4810MQ with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (2x8 GB)

NVIDIA Quadro K3100M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

1 TB Harddrive

Is there anything I should change or add more or less of? I am heavily using Navisworks and appending dozens of files in order to keep the performance up. I am creating walkthoughs by utilizing the animator (Blank Camera) and animating objects. The big hold up is still the sync between Autodesk and Inventor, I want this to be as fast as possible in order to change 3D assets if they don't turn out right.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
XuesongBai

Personally, the configuration is good so far as it goes.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 8 of 8
wangcha

Your computer configuration looks good. To break a heavy layout into sublayouts would help on saving time on sync command execution. We are keep working on performance improvement, in short term please try to use sublayout.

-Charles 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report