Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking in Factory Design Projects /Layouts into Vault

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jweiss1313
575 Views, 7 Replies

Checking in Factory Design Projects /Layouts into Vault

I have a single FDS user who has created a shop floor layout and wants to check his layout and all the included asset components into Vault.  Are we going to have duplicate file name issues in the future when placing similar assets into other layouts since Inventor renames all the consumed assets with a funking filename and folder location.  We do not allow duplicate filenames in our Vault environment.

Out reseller told us that we would have problems with this in the future so we are reluctant to check things into Vault.

Seems like FDS is not very Vault friendly as far as this and storing assets in Vault libraries and inserting them from Vault.  I hope Autodesk is looking at this and will make FDS more tightly integrated with Vault like it should be!  We do not want to store our assets on hard drives or network drives.  We purchased Vault Professsional to manage all of our design files and libraries.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.  Thanks!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jweiss1313
in reply to: jweiss1313

Another thing that bothers me is that before we purchased we have used a single Inventor project file for our entire company which includes multiple sites in USA and a site in Poland.

Now we just purchased FDS and in order to publish our assets to a shared location, we have to modify the project file to change the library location to a mapped network drive becasue we can't utilize the Vault to library our assets.

I just thought I would throw this out as well.

All comments and suggestions appreciated!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 3 of 8
olegd.prod

Hi John,

thanks for the feedback.

You should be able to check the consumed asset files (asset instances) into the Vault. These files are named in a "funky" way specifically to help us reuse them when they are placed into multiple layouts.

As far as managing the asset library in the Vault - as you found out, that isn't supported today. One of the reasons is the "unique file name" restriction that Vault users may place on their vaults.

Thanks again for the feedback, and we'll keep looking at ways to make this better.

Oleg

Message 4 of 8
jweiss1313
in reply to: olegd.prod

Thank you for the reply.  It is imperative that the Factory Design Suite works well with Vault and that its assets can be easiliy shared in a network drive or Vault.  Clear instructions should be available to customers so that they can share their assets.  There are some unofficial instructions on this discussion group, but nothing from Autodesk as far as the proper location of all the asset libraries when moving them to a network drive.  The ultimate solution would be to store these assets in the content center and/or Vault.

Thanks!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 5 of 8
jweiss1313
in reply to: olegd.prod

While I'm at it, it would be nice to be able to rename the consumed assets when placing them into an assembly with filenames that make sense to the factory design and not the automatically generated file names that we are getting now.

Thanks!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 6 of 8
jeff.pek

Hi John -

Thanks -- we agree.

The recommendation we give people for working with Vault is as follows:

1) Store your asset library *source* in Vault. This gives you version control/history, etc. for the library.

2) Store your *published* assets in a shared network location. This avoids the unique file name issues, and provides a view of the "latest and greatest" (tip) versions of the assets, along with the extra generated files that an asset contains. This area can be read-only to everyone except those who handle the publishing. You would use IPJ-based library folder settings to identify the location(s) of the asset libraries.

3) Store your layout designs (with asset instances) in Vault.

Best Regards,

Jeff

Message 7 of 8
jeff.pek

Hi again, John -

Regarding the file names...

We understand that people don't really like these file names. There are very good reasons that something like this has to be done, given the file-based approach to the storage system. When (if) we move to something more database-oriented, we can remove this sort of thing, and let the database track things like unique instances, while maintaining file names that make more sense to people.

Until then, we've tried to mitigate this as much as possible (e.g., by maintaining meaninful component names), but the files need to be recognizable.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jeff

Message 8 of 8
jweiss1313
in reply to: jeff.pek

Thank you Jeff!  It sounds like we are both in agreement about these issues.  I added these to the FDS Idea Station and hope you are able to get these requests to your development team.  Thank you for your comments!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report