Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bottle neck

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Ehsancad
755 Views, 12 Replies

Bottle neck

Can the analysis results show the case of "Bottle Neck" during the material workflow?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
XuesongBai
in reply to: Ehsancad

Hi,

I think you can get it by Machine utilization? If the machine utilization is "bottle neck", the balloon on the machine will be red.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 13
Carl_mgfx
in reply to: XuesongBai

I have setup an analysis that should cause a "bottle neck" and it seems to be the case that the machine causing the "bottle neck" does indeed show red and in severe cases has a usage of over 100%

Kind Regards

Carl van Rooyen 

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Inventor 2019, Vault 2019,
HP ZBook 15u G4, Win 10 64Bit (ver 1709), i7-7500U, 16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 620 with AMD Firepro W4190M
Message 4 of 13
XuesongBai
in reply to: Carl_mgfx

The usage is over 100%, you need more machine to complete the desired production quantity.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 5 of 13
Ehsancad

I already tried an example depends on : Load/Upload Time ,Setup/Processing Time & Time between stations based on the speed of transportation means.

It doesn't find the Bottle Neck between stations.

Message 6 of 13
Carl_mgfx

I have noticed with the calculation for machine utilization, that there seems to be no allowance for batch size.  This may affect your results.  This is what I have come up with.

As it stands this is the calculation 

Machine Utilization for a station = ((setup time + processing time) *daily desired production rate for all jobs at the station / (N of shifts * shift hours * percent uptime)) *100%

From a document posted on this thread http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Factory-Design-Suite/Analysis-report/m-p/3347269/highlight/tr...

There is no batch size worked into the production rate.  I believe that the Production Rate should be divided by the Batch Size to obtain the correct Machine Utilization.  I have run some tests by setting daily production rate and batch size, then looked at machine utilization (+- 3700%).  I then divided Production Rate by Batch size and reduced batch size to 1 and got a Machine utilization of +- 30% (More realistic according to data gathered).

The equations I used to calculate by hand are as follows

Machine Utilization=(Time Used / Time Available) * 100%

=(((Setup time + Processing Time) * (daily desired production rate for all jobs at the station /Batch Size)) / (N of shifts * shift hours * percent uptime)) * 100%

I believe this may need to be looked at by Autodesk.

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Message 7 of 13
Carl_mgfx
in reply to: Carl_mgfx

Forgot to mention in my previous post that in the case that I used for my calculations, the operations performed per machine, operates on the entire batch at once.

Maybe there should be an option under the machine properties to set how many of the product pass through the machine per operation.

An example would be a machine that fills 5 bottles per operation, but the batch size is say 60.  Therefore the machine would perform 60 / 5 operations.  This would be worked into the Machine utilization calc.

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Message 8 of 13
Ehsancad

Dear Carl,

It's so simple.

The Utilizations means :the ratio between the desired production rate & the actual production rate.

It depends upon time, Machines used for every stations.

You can find it as follows:

1- calculate the Machined time for one Part= Processing tme + Setting up Time

2-Total Parts Machined in one Shift= Machined time for one part/ No. Of Hours per Shift

3-Actual Production Rate per day = Total Parts Machined in one Shift x No. Of Shifts per day.

4-UTILIZATION = Desired Production Rate(/workday)/ Actual Production Rate per day / uptime %age x 100.

for reasonable results it shall not exceed 100%.

uptime %age may depends on the state of Physical Machines in the stations.

But Again No any indicator for  a bottle Neck

Message 9 of 13
XuesongBai

Hi,

In Factory design suites, it is using the following fomulars for the machine utilization:

Machine Utilization for a station=Standdard time(actual production needed time)/Takt Time(actual working time)*100%

•  Takt Time=Working time/Daily desired production rate
  •   Working time=No. of shifts *shaift hours*precent uptime*60(mins)
  •  Standard time=Stepup time +Processing time(mins)

Then Machine Utilization=(Setup time+Processing time)*Daily desired production rate/(No. of shifts *shaift hours*precent uptime*60)*100%

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 10 of 13
Carl_mgfx

Hi all

I understand how the equations work.  My questions is.

Does the calculation take into account the batch size?

An example of my problem is as follows.

One mixing operation produces 60kg of compound

Takes 30s to setup and 3min to process

We are required to produce 10 000kg per day

A work day is 2 8 hour shifts.

Uptime of the machine is 96% 

I get a machine Utilization of about 3776% (unrealistic since the information is what is currently being used)

If I divide the required production rate by the batch size then machine utilization is about 63% (more realistic)

Inputting this information into the equations the batch size is ignorred and only the required daily production is used.  Should the daily production not be divided by the batch size to obtain the amount of opperations (Running time) of the machine?

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Message 11 of 13
XuesongBai

Hi,

It didn't take into account batch size for the machine utilization.The result of 3776% means that there need to 38 (37.76) machines to complete the demand daily production quantiy. So if the operation of station can complete the batch size of the productions, you can make a workaround to set the Standard time (setup time and processing time) as Standard time/batch size.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 12 of 13
Ehsancad

Hi,

The batch size didn't be took into considerations think another factor should be calculated is "Total No. Of Days required to finishes the Quantity needed"

Message 13 of 13
XuesongBai

Good suggestion.So the factor will be used for the working time of the production in the specific period time, right?

Thanks,

-Xuesong  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report