Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appending DWG files with xrefs in Navisworks

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
sunil.chaudhary
1950 Views, 4 Replies

Appending DWG files with xrefs in Navisworks

Hi

I am using FDSU 2014. I have a .dwg file (lets say A) with two xref (lets say B and C) in it. Both xrefs have factory assets and also have .iam files of their own.

What i want to do is that when i open A (that is .dwg) in Navisworks manage, i must be able to append .iam files of B and C at the exact location as they were in A in Autocad Mechanical. I have tried it but not getting desired results.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Sunil

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Sunil,

There is no link between .iam and .dwg file when you append each file into Navisworks.

The recommended workflow should be as below.

• Append A.iam into Navisworks(B.iam and C.iam(included all factory assets) will be appended automatically.)
  • Append A.dwg into Navisworks(B.dwg and C.dwg will be appended automatically.)

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 5

Hi Xuesong

Thanks for the reply and what you are saying is right but let me rephrase my question.

I want to design a large factory (lets say its A, same as the previous message) and due to its large size and system capability i want to divide my factory in sections (lets say B and C, same as in previous message) and append them individually in Navisworks Manage and these files should append at a certain location in Navisworks. 

Would you please suggest any workflow for this.

(I am able to do this by taking reference of origin in Inventor and Autocad for each section (B and C) and then appending them in Navisworks)

Thanks

Sunil

Message 4 of 5

Hi Sunil,

I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

The point is to make sure the location is not changed from AutoCAD to Inventor/Navisworks.

Please refer to the recommended workflow to deal with the large layout in AutoCAD/Inventor/Navisworks.

Please let me know if you have any comments.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 5 of 5

Hi Xuesong

Sorry for such a late reply, got busy in another work.

Your pdf really helped me and thanks a lot.

-Sunil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report