Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACAD - 3d Arch Dwg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rokowski
685 Views, 7 Replies

ACAD - 3d Arch Dwg

First I'm new to factory....

I have a model (Id building) that I'm importing into factory - I inserted as an overlay - see attachment

Additionally I have a number of assets (Tanks,pumps etc)

When I produce the view on my drawing (idw)....The model for the building does not show

What is the method to show the 3d model of the building?

Thank you in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jeff.pek
in reply to: rokowski

Hi -

Thanks for your question!

While generating the drawing through the regular Inventor IDW facility doesn't handle the inclusion of the overlay, the Publish/Update DWG command, on the Layout Tools dropdown panel, will do this. It will generate a DWG (actually a pair of them), which contains the 2d representations of the layout, and will xref in the overlay DWG.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Message 3 of 8
rokowski

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply....

This dropdown that you mentioned...Is it on the Model side of (Inventor/Factory)  or the drawing side (Idw)

What I'm looking to do in Factory is Import "Buildings that are created in 3D" using Overlay or another method? And then installing Assets (in and around) the 3D building......and then output.....using "IDW" files. Is this the right approach? or is this only going to give me 2D reference geom.

Again thanks for your help

Bill

Message 4 of 8
jeff.pek

Hi Bill -

It's on the model side -- on the Factory tab.

It takes care of the details of creating the drawings.

This Publish DWG workflow generates DWG (not IDW). Is that going to be an issue?

When you say you want to "Import buildings that are created in 3d" -- are you talking about 3d DWGs? Or some other format? Do you have any samples that you could share to help us understand the details of what you're trying to do?

Cheers,

Jeff

Message 5 of 8
rokowski
in reply to: jeff.pek

Jeff,

Attached are 3D building drawing.......the 2nd attachment is the 3D building (overlay) 2D drawing (overlay) along with Inventor factory assets.

Bill

Message 6 of 8
suhang

If you use FDS 2013 or you installed SAP of FDS 2012, you can use the command Import DWG Solids command, and then publish it to asset library. Then you can place the model directly from asset browser.

Message 7 of 8
rokowski

We have installed the service pack.....

I am now reloading the 3D building model into the factory layout.

The file is taking forever to load......Should this 3D file be an overlay or an asset?????

Message 8 of 8
suhang

Yes, it will take some time to convert all 3d data to Inventor file. There is an option in Factory Option dialog/Asset builder tab to let you decide whether you want it to be an assembly or a part. I suggest you select the part option.

After it is imported to Inventor, you have to publish it to factory asset library in case you want to reuse this model in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report