cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Cutting Machine

Pipe Cutting Machine

We need the ability to send our pipe to a pipe cutting machine for fabrication.  In order to do that, we will need to be able to create holes in piping for pipe saddles, TOL's, WOL's, and SOL's.  Not only would we need to enhance the pipe CID with this feature, but we would also need to be able to make special connectors where these branch takeoffs connect to each other.  The ends of piping also need connectors for miter cuts whenever we need to create our own fittings.

3 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a Vernon Pipe Cutter?

If so, you technically wouldn't need to have the holes cut in the CID template, rather if the post was intellegent enough, it would know where it saw other pipes tap in what was needed and export the data as required.

Autodesk still claims this is tied up in patent litigation in the US but I've also been told by other insiders that these types of patent issues were all resolved when Trimble aquired QuickPen.

I wouldn't expect to see this anytime soon as a result. We contacted Trimble/QuickPen a few years ago inquiring about licenseing the patent and writing it ourselves and they never replied with a number.

It's possible to write yourself with enough analysis of the piping in your spools/drawing but it would be a lot of work. I know a guy in the Baltimre area that made good headway into doing this but stopped when the shop folks stopped supporting him in his efforts. It's on my to-do list but likely will not get to the top due to other priorities.

When I spoke w/Vernon years ago, they said other industries download to their machines (structural steel) and that QP would knock on their door every couple years (pre Trimble) and threaten to shake them down for $$ but when told have your lawyers contact our lawyers, that never happened.

If you need the programming guide for the machine, just shoot me a private Email.

MMCContractors
Contributor

It is not a Vernon cutter.  It's a Watts.

I've been hearing the same patent stories as you have for years now.  I want to escalate this because I believe this is no longer the case as you elude to.

We have the programmer for the Watts cutter willing to work with us, but he needs information from the software to be able to do anything.  He has successfully been able to do this with other software (not sure which ones).  Why the most powerful "Fabrication" software on the market can't go to a pipe cutter, is beyond me.

aaron.tw
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report