Fabrication CADmep Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fabrication CADmep Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fabrication CADmep topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Mapping

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
DarnellaThunderhawk
755 Views, 7 Replies

Setting up Mapping

Hello,

Very new to this and I have no idea where to start. I am using Revit MEP 2014 and FAB MEP 2014. I am trying to take my HVAC system from Revit to Fab and then create a .maj file. I highlight what I want, select show design line and export using OUT. I open my FabMEP and use processrun to bring in my HVAC system but it does not place it piece by piece if you know what I mean. Its still shows it as one long duct and not seperate pieces to be connected. First, what am I missing? Second, how to fix it? Finally, I know im missing something with mapping but I have no clue what to do. Please, anything helps. 

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

In Revit there is a Store Designline Elements. Are you using this, or going straight to Out? If you arent, give it a shot and see if your result are different.

Here is my process:

Highlight everything, filter keeping only mechanical equipment, air exchange and all duct (accessories, fittings and duct). 

Store Design Line Element

Filter; keeping Mechanical equipment and air exchange

Store Graphical Elements

Out.

I then go into FabMEP; processrun. A table pops up about mapping but I do not understand it at all (which is where i think i am doing something wrong). I leave everything the way it is and click ok. 

Now my air exchange and mechanical equipment come in alone but not solid pieces, just lines. No duct work appears.

May I remind you I have never done this before.

Message 4 of 8

When the "table pops up" this is where you align the Revit families with your Services. The program needs to know that for example that the family "Rectangular Duct" is equivilent to your service "Fresh Air Supply." 

Also, I have seen many folks very frustrated with the results due to crappy Revit models. 

How would I be able to tell if this is a "crappy Revit model" to begin with?

When all the information pops up in my mapping table, all my exhaust for instance will simply just say "Mechanical Exhaust Air 42", each has its own number. Same with Return Air and Supply Air. Is this normal?

Message 6 of 8

Yes its normal...kind of. Depending on the quality of company that is putting out the Revit model. 

Mechanical Exhaust Air 42 is a Family from Revit, you need to line it up with a Service from CADmep. There is a dropdown next to it where you can assign it to your Exhaust Air service. Once you complete the whole list, you can save the Mappings by clicking at the bottom of the interface. 

@davidronson wrote:

Yes its normal...kind of. Depending on the quality of company that is putting out the Revit model. 

I believe this model was made in a hurry to complete a contract to match the AutoCAD 2D model. 

Is there by chance a way I can create a .map file without importing my model into FabMEP and using the dialog box that pops-up? 

Message 8 of 8

No this is just the way it works. Each project will have different mappings since they arent always coming from the same source. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report