Fabrication CADmep Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fabrication CADmep Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fabrication CADmep topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabrication CADMEP 2015 Scripting hanger rod size

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
MOatman
2861 Views, 21 Replies

Fabrication CADMEP 2015 Scripting hanger rod size

The scripts we have for changing hanger rod size no longer work on hangers drawn in 2015 software.  I have noticed they changed the row name to "Drop rod size" but when I execute the script it tells me the field is "read-only".  Apparently values that have been product listed in 2015 are now read-only.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
jmerch
in reply to: MOatman

Well that sucks.  We do the same.  Makes you wonder what other fields may be affected the same way. 

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

Why are you changing the rod dia on the hanger? 

Hangers can have rods controlled based on pipe and hangers based on insulation. When setup this way, you could use various support configurations to allow you to size rods differently across the whole drawing or on a case by case basis where you just need to bump up a rod for whatever reason.

Message 4 of 22
MOatman
in reply to: Anonymous

Give me an example on how you can change the support specs on (1) itm file in the database on the fly. I don't think that is possible. I do not wish to make 10 copies of an itm file just to accommodate all the different options we might need for a particular hanger.

Mitchell Oatman
12241 Industrial Blvd. Unit 202, Victorville, CA 92395
Phone: 1-310-637-1500 x1878 Cell: 1-310-991-3014

www.murraycompany.com

[http://www.murraycompany.com/MC_100yrsLogo2013.png]

Murray Company is 100% Employee Owned
Celebrating 100 Years of Excellence | 1913 - 2013

CONFIDENTIAL
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of Murray Company,
are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipients or
otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender and delete this message immediately from your
computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing
or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

Michael, Sorry for the delay.....I received an Email notice of your reply but it didn't show up until now in the forum  for me.

You can create seperate "Supports" configurations as I'm sure you're aware. IN the "Support" section of the Breakpoints is where you define the Rod diameters.

As an example, we have a Support Specification called "Copper MSS69" which sizes rods for use on a copper system's hangers based on MSS69 specifications.

We could also (if needed/wanted) create a second Support Specification called "Copper MSS69 +1" which uses 1 rod size larger across the board.

My service would then default to "Copper MSS69", but on any particular hanger that I wanted to "Upsize" by 1 rod size, I could change (manually or via script) the support specification it's using to "Copper MSS69 +1".

Another approach would be (regardless of how efficient or practical) would be to forget about the Supprot spec using breakpoints to control the rod diameter.  Yoiu'd instead create seperate Support Specs called something like "3/8 Rod", "1/2 Rod", "3/4 Rod" that each size rod across the board the the cooresponding size.  You'd then manually or via script (this approach would likely be easer via scripting) apply the proper Support Spec to that particular ITM in your DRAWING 9not the database) for the size rod you want.

Make sense?

You're still changing the rod diameter...but instead of changing it via the dimension property, you're changing it via the Support Spec.

You're not creating Support Specs on the fly and you're not modifying the details of a support spec on the fly. The support spec(s) are all setup and configured ahead of time per the methodoloy that works for you, and you simply modify which Support Spec the hanger ITM points to.

Is Dave sending you to the TSI UGM in New Orleans?  Perhaps he vcan infroduce us and I can explain more there.

Message 6 of 22
greg.mosher

I agree with everything Darren is saying here but I think one thing is missing that may cause some frustration. Before you can use the Support Setting for your Hanger Rod size you will need to set all the hangers to Use the Support Settings, otherwise they will still deafault to the Item file settings.

GAMosher
Message 7 of 22
jmerch

After talking to support, they did change this to read-only but you can still script it if you remove the rod size from the product list.

Message 8 of 22
MOatman

dyoung, 

I agree with what you are saying about the hanger specs.

Here is my issue.  You have to set the spec of the hanger at at ITM level prior to drawing in a cad drawing via properties.  The hanger spec field is not available by editing the item either in folders or after item is placed in a drawing.  The only way to access the spec setting after the item has been placed in a drawing is to use "Changeobject(s)properties" button "MPROP" command and only select (1) hanger at a time.  That is unacceptable.

I want to select any hanger or a group of hangers in the drawing and change the spec to any configuration I choose on the fly.

Scripting the hanger spec would be perfectly fine with me.  It would be basically the same as what we were doing before.

I don't now what property to seek out with a script since it is not shown in the item tab of the object in cad.  Do you have a script that can change the support specs?  Can you share?

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

You can't change this on the hanger (red arrow) after drawing?

Or it doesn't show up? You can configure what is displayed on this tab and add it if it's not there. (Green Arrow)

2014-06-13_12-53-57.png

Message 10 of 22
Anonymous

This works on the below hanger that I dropped into a drawing....

debug item.support.value
dim val
val = "Black MSS69"
item.support.value = val
item.update()
debug item.support.value

Message 11 of 22
MOatman

Ok, Once I set up some specs and added the supports to my hangers and turned on the use specs in the options it all worked.

The supports setting has to be locked for it to accept the script info correctly.

Spec settings are not available when selecting multiple hangers using MPROP command.

Oh well scripts will work.

Crazy good.

Thanks for your help.

I will be at the usergroup meeting.  Maybe we can meet.

Message 12 of 22
cadman_ics

Darren,

Correct me if I am wrong (I really hope I am), but the method you are suggesting only changes ancillaries.

It does not change any of the physical characteristics of the hanger object in the drawing.

This is in my opinion is one of the big flaws with the way a lot of the ancillaries are applied to the items (they are not connected to the dimensions).

So if a user changes the length or size of the bearer, or the diameter of the rod, the ancillary remains unchanged, and vice verse.

Seems silly that we can change the rod diameter using the support field as you have shown, but the object in the drawing is still showing the old diameter.

Could be dangerous for coordination if the unistrut or angle size changes, but the object being coordinated shows the wrong size.

Also could be dangerous if the wrong data is being used to order materials.

Autodesk really needs to connect these pieces of data.

Without the connection it has lost it's intelligence.

Until then the only way to truly update the items are to change the dims and the ancillaries.

Which I'll bet most are not doing.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: cadman_ics

@c2k wrote:

Darren,

Correct me if I am wrong (I really hope I am), but the method you are suggesting only changes ancillaries.

It does not change any of the physical characteristics of the hanger object in the drawing.

What I describe, if setup properly will control the physical size of the rods (based on pipe) and hangers (based on insulation if you want) in the graphics.

Yes, this is a deviation from the norm where Ancillaries like this were only a function of reporting and not graphics.

Message 14 of 22
cadman_ics

Maybe I am misunderstanding you as well.

You talk a lot about using the "Support Specification", but your picture shows you using the "Supports #1" value on the itm, and that is what your script is changing.

Are you using both, or are you calling the use of the "Supports" in the "Fittings" part of the database a support specification?

Just to be clear here are pictures:

2014-07-30_8-56-18.png

Your script is only changing the support value, which is tied to the "Fittings-->Supports" part of the database.

So how are you getting the data contained in the support to change the pyhsical dimensions on the itm?

I have never found them to be connected. (please don't tell me it's the ID tied to a product list because that doesn't work well for duct)

You mention the hanger size & rod size being changed... what about if it was a trapeze, could it also change the bearer width, depth, and extensions?

Thanks Darren, please straighten me out Smiley Wink

Chris

Message 15 of 22
cadman_ics

One correction Smiley Embarassed

I forgot to change the option "Use Support Settings"

It is now changing the rod diameter.

Let me test more on the trapeze and such and see if I can answer some of my own questions.

Thanks.

Message 16 of 22
cadman_ics

So I did some tests on the trapeze scenario...

There are not any columns to control the width or depth of the bearer itself, just a name.

So you can change the bearer here from single strut to double strut, but it doesn't change the object physically, so this will still have to be done with dimensions on the itm.

The bearer extension column didn't seem to have any affect on the dimensions either.

The rod extension column didn't seem to have any affect on the dimensions either. 

The rod diameter works.

So, the rod diameter can definitely be controlled, but it appears the rod extension below and the bearer width, depth, & length cannot.

Sure would be nice if they would fix that so the cost could be accurate to what is modelled, and reports if you choose to report ancillaries.

Next I guess I am going to see what can be controlled on the strap type hangers.

Thanks for getting me to look at this again.

I think the rod diameter part may at least prove to be useful ecspeccialy on the piping end of things.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous

My appologies for the inappropriate use of "Support specification" MSS-69 is a "Specification" so I was using that term in a generic sense. It is indeed the supports configuration of the database where we've entered the data.

As far as controlling the other stuff, good question. I've not played with it beyond rods. I'm not sure how much deeper it goes. Everything else we control from the ITM level.

Message 18 of 22
cadman_ics

Thanks for clarifying that.

Hey just found this in the old 2007 UG Manual on the page discussing supports.

Gave me a little chuckle.

(NOTE: In the current version, costing of hanger rods, rod extensions and bearer extensions is not collected from 3D hangers. To properly cost, the information must be entered in the support definition (in the pattern database). Future releases will address this issue.)

Message 19 of 22
faranakasadpour

hi there

howcan I change the colour of pipe fittings? because I want to show them in a different colour

Message 20 of 22

I think you should probably start a new thread as your question has nothing to do with "scripting hanger rod size".

Then please provide some additional info on what you want to do.
Are you saying you want fittings to be a different color than pipe, or do you just want to the pipe & fittings to use a different color than the currently used color?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report