Fabrication CADmep Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fabrication CADmep Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fabrication CADmep topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted Fittings and Drawing Database

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
davidronson
938 Views, 8 Replies

Corrupted Fittings and Drawing Database

Bare with me as I try to explain this.

I have two Database one for Duct and one for Pipe.
Recently started utilizing Project Navigator (File Management Feature in AutoCAD MEP)

Every few days we will find that one of our .dwg models have been corrupted! The file will have some Services from the other trade PERMANENTLY  added to the database. The Materials of all fittings in the drawing will have a new Material that belongs to the other database. All the Connectors of all the fittings in the drawing will have new Connectors from the other database.

Essentially all the Pipe will have Duct data and visa versa. It does not add Temporary information to the database as normal...makes it permanent!

The model is trashed at this point. The data can not be fixed! I have to restore previous backups.

The file management of Project Navigator seems to be crossing wires with CADmep!

I really like the features of Project Navigator but if I cant resolve this I will have to back away from using it. Cant keep doing this and be productive. Any thought or input would be great!

Message 2 of 9
Backnblack
in reply to: davidronson

Why the need to keep the databases seperated?

We split Duct/Piping as well but the databases are never loaded on the same machine, ever.

Message 3 of 9
davidronson
in reply to: Backnblack

We have a Duct dept and a Pipe dept. Each computer is setup with the appropriate database for the drafters trade. Really, the problem is going to come back to Project Navigator. Perhaps I should post this in a forum with people more familiar with the feature. I just know CADmep is very complex so trying to explain what is going wrong to someone unfamiliar with CADmep will be nearly impossible. 

Backnblack

I used to work for TSI so I do follow what your saying.
Message 5 of 9
brett.stacks

Hi David,

Are you sure that this is caused by project navigator? Is it possible that one of your peers is using REFEDIT? Editing a reference has caused corruption for add-in products in the past because the add-in cannot fully open the reference drawing database. 

Brett Stacks
Product Manager, MEP Fabrication
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 9
davidronson
in reply to: brett.stacks

No I am not sure if anyone here is using REFEDIT. I will ask. We didnt start having this issue until I implemented Navigator. So I am just going with deduction to find a source. 

davidronson
in reply to: brett.stacks

Brett - What about "ncopy?" This command will copy geometry from an xref and bring it into your drawing. Do you know if this command will corrupt?

k_speropoulos

I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or not, but we have run into something eerily similar.  We just started using the project navigator and now, all of our materials for every item has been changed to ductile iron.  I had our IT department do a restore of a previous version of our database.  The materials were correct when I opened a blank drawing with this restored database.  But just as soon as I opened one through the navigator, all the materials reverted to ductile iron again.  Should we abandon the project navigator if we are using Fabrication CADmep?

Message 9 of 9
davidronson
in reply to: k_speropoulos

I was able to figure out that the problem is the repath feature that comes with Project Navigator. Somehow it corrupts the drawing database. Since we stopped using that feature the problem has stopped. Twice now I have been able to catch a corrupted drawing minutes after someone used the repatch feature, concluding that is the problem. 

I wouldnt abandon it yet. We have since been successfully using Navigator on several projects...just dont use that feature. I dont use the Level and Divisions either. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report