Did you mean: 

Window Linking Problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
287 Views, 2 Replies

Window Linking Problem

I wonder if anybody can help me out:

I'm having a problem, it comes and goes - when i link a window and a wall and then go to visualise, the wall is transparent as well as the window. I've checked the linking and it seems fine, and i've also checked the materials which are correct aswell.

Anybody know how to fix this? I'm assuming that if the wall is transparent in visualise this will cause problems with daylight analysis.

Thanks - Mark
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
yunpeng
in reply to: Anonymous

I suggest you upload your model.
Message 3 of 3
drajmarsh
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mark,

There are two conditions that will cause the problem you describe.

As shown in the attached image, it can occur if some part of the window strays outside the boundaries of the parent wall. Similarly, this can happen if two windows within the same wall overlay lap (even if just slightly).

This happens in the OpenGL view because each solid object needs to be dynamically tesselated into triangles. In order to include windows and other child openings, the parent polygon winds around the outside boundary in one direction and then around each internal boundary in the opposite direction. If this process cannot resolve into something sensible, then you will get just the line drawing of the object.

There is a more detailed description of this process, called Apertures Without Relationship Linking, in the following section of the Ecotect help file: Ecotect Help! >> General Concepts >> Modelling >> Object Relationships

Hope that helps...

Kind regards,
Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew Marsh
Principal Software Engineer
AEC-Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report