Did you mean: 

Visualise issue (DXF file)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
davanajth
1957 Views, 6 Replies

Visualise issue (DXF file)

I imported a model (DXF generated with Elias) into ecotect. I can see the 3d editor of model. However, when i click the visualize tab the model does not show up at all. .How do I fix this?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pennetier1
in reply to: davanajth

Hello davanajth

Let's try to help you troubleshoot this issue... so a few questions:

1. Can you actually access the Visualize Page, but you do not see your model? If so, your model might be in the distance; you can press Crtl + F to re-size the ground plane and see if your model appears.

2. Are you getting any sort of Error message?  If so, please post what it says.  The Visualize tab uses OpenGl, and it sometimes causes issues when your graphic card is not set-up for OpenGl.  Make sure you have the latest driver for your graphic card.

3. Are you presssing the Visualize tab and Ecotect stays on the 3D Editor?  Maybe it crashes after that?  This has happened to me in the past, and I am not quite sure why it happens, although I suspect another issue and OpenGl, especially if you have set-up a background image in the 3D editor.  If that is the case, delete the background image and try again.  You might have to copy your model to a fresh session of Ecotect and re-save as another file.

4. Finally, does this issue happens only with your DXF-imported model?  Does the Visualize page works with other Ecotect files that do not have imported geometry?  If so, it is definitively an issue with the imported geometry and I am not sure why it would show in the 3D editor but not in the Visualize page.  Try to import the geometry a few pieces at a time to see what geometry is causing the issue.

I hope anyone of these suggestions helps.  Please do let us know.

Let me know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 3 of 7
davanajth
in reply to: Pennetier1

Hi again,

This issue happens only with this DXF-import model. I can see the model in Plan, front and side view. If I click on Ctrl+F the model appears in perspective for a second and disappears after that! Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks for your time and consideration
Happy new year!

Davana

Message 4 of 7
Pennetier1

Hi davanajth

Let me ask you another question that I missed in my previous post:

What is the scale of your model?

When you import the dxf, Ecotect asks you to scale the model.  Ecotect's native unit is the mm.  If you import a DXF that was created in meters, then select Scale objects by: 1,000.  If the model was created in feet, then select Scale Objects By 304.8.

I have a feeling that your scale is off and too small for Ecotect to display even when zoomed all the way.

Let me know if that is the case.

Also, if you want to attach your dxf to this post I would be able to try to troubleshoot the file on my machine.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 5 of 7
davanajth

Hi,

Attached please find the files.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 7
Pennetier1

Hi davanajth

Unfortunately, I did not find anything wrong with your file; it opened just fine on my machine, even when not using the correct scale (mm to meter).

I was able to import your model, and I did change the glazing to WINDOW objects.

It can be useful to place certain elements of your model on separate zones in your CAD software prior to exporting as DXF, so that it can be easier to assign the correct materials once it is in Ecotect, rather than having a single layer with all the objects on it.

Also note, this model will be just fine for Daylighting analysis because it has enough details, however, when importing from CAD, you will have two window panes (from your CAD object having double pane windows), whereas Ecotect needs to have a single pane.  So you will have to delete one pane (one WINDOW object) for each glazing.  Also, assign the correct transparency OR SHGC for your window (not both), and leave the other one to 1.0 for daylighting, otherwise you will be doubling up on the amount of light that is not transmitted.  I typically assign the correct transparency for daylighting, leaving the SHGC to 1.0, and I reverse this for thermal analysis.

I hope it helps, see file attached.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 7 of 7
davanajth

Hi,

Thanks a lot for help and comments. The problem is solved. 

Cheers,

Davana

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report