Did you mean: 

Materials from revit to ecotect

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
as123dfg
757 Views, 11 Replies

Materials from revit to ecotect

Hi, 

I have huge building created in revit. It has about 6000 square meters. There is about 10 types of different walls. When I have imported gbxml to ecotect, It changed all of them into the wall. It will be hard and time-consuming to change properties each of them. Is there some solution for this issue? Is it possible to copy properties from revit to ecotect?

Regards...

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Pennetier1
in reply to: as123dfg

Hello as123dfg, 

Unfortunately, the material assmblies created within Revit do not transfer to Ecotect.

What needs to be done is to first create these 10 different wall assemblies in Ecotect, then when the gbxml import window appears, you can assign each wall objects with its specific Ecotect wall assembly. Yes, it is time consuming, but if your wall objects in Revit have their own name, that should transfer into the gbxml file and so assigning the correct wall assembly to each one of them accordingly should save you some time - instead of going through each and every single wall object in your model...

Another question to ask yourself is what type of analysis are you going to perform in Ecotect and whether or not the difference in wall assemblies and thermal performance between each of your 10 wall types will have a significant impact in your analysis.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 3 of 12
as123dfg
in reply to: Pennetier1

Thank You !
Message 4 of 12
jy492330

I have a tangential question related to the interface issue between Revit and Ecotect. My issue is on importing the .xml daylight file exported from Revit 2013 into Ecotect. I have explored every possible means by reducing the geometry, file size, adjusting the units, and converting UTF16 to UTF8, but still couldn't get Ecotect to read the decoded .xml file as attached (both exported original and converted to UTF8). Can the issue or bug be identified in the .xml script file ? Please help if you have any clues. 

Message 5 of 12
Pennetier1
in reply to: jy492330

Hi jy492330, 

Something must be off with your UTF converter; I use this UTF converter and it worked for me.

gbxml import.jpg

I am attaching the converted file here.

I hope it works for you as well.

Let me know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 6 of 12
jy492330

Hi Pennetier,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, Ecotect is still unable to recognize
the .xml file from the UTF converter you have attached in the email. I've
tried to use the same UTF converter before to convert the original .xml
output exported from Revit 2013 to the .xml decoded with UTF8 but had no
luck. I suspect that there might be an inherent bug generated from certain
modeling command in Revit as the origin of the issue which might have
already created the issue in the original xml output file. Can you try to
open the .xml script and examine what the issue might be ? The original xml
is attached.

Thank you

Jessica
Message 7 of 12
Pennetier1

Hi Jessica, 

I do not think there is any issue with your .xml file as I am able to open it in Ecotect 2010 without any problem after converting it to UTF8.

A few questions for you:

What version of Ecotect are you using?

What process do you use to import the xml file into Ecotect?

What is the error message you receive from Ecotect?

Have you been able to import .xml files into Ecotect in the past?

My process to import .xml files into Ecotect is File menu > Import > Model/Analysis Data > choose .xml.  Once the xml import window loads the model > open into existing.

Please answer the above questions so i can better help you solve this issue.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 8 of 12
jy492330

Thanks so much for looking into my xml file. Based on what you said, I was able to open the xml file in Ecotect 2010 after I've converted to UTF8. However, when I performed the same export and import procedure from Revit 2013 - xml - UTF8 -  Ecotect 2011, the file was not successfully imported into Ecotect 201l, no surfaces or geometries came up, but no popup error message either.

I used xml editor in notepad format to convert my xml file by saving it as UTF8 for file size greater than 5 MB which can't be converted through the UTF Converter. I didn't have any issue of getting it into Ecotect 2010, but it didn't work for 2011.

Jessica

Message 9 of 12
Pennetier1

Hi jy492330, 

There must be something wrong with the way your .gbxml is saved to UTF8, because I am able to import the UTF8 xml file that was converted with the online converter into Ecotect 2011, and it imports the same as in 2010.

The problem indeed, is that this online converter does not accept files above 5 MB.

I have also used the utility Notepad++ to convert the .xml to UTF8 and it worked nicely to import into Ecotect 2011 (simply open the file and go to the Encode menu > UTF8, then save the file).

Give it a try and let me know how it goes, I do not think there are any limitations on file size.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 10 of 12
jy492330

Hi Pennetier1,

I have a secondary question in regards to Ecotect. Do you happen to know if
Ecotect is able to simulate clear sky condition for daylight analysis by
choosing "CIE Uniform Sky Condition" under Daylight Factors & Levels
calculation type, or does it must be imported to Radiance ?

Thank you,
Jessica
Message 11 of 12
Pennetier1

Hi jy492330, 

No, the only options for the Daylight Factor are either Cloudy Sky (the correct choice for true Daylight Factor Analysis), or Uniform Sky, which is not quite the right choice for true Daylight Factor.

You do not have the choice for Clear Sky because the Daylight Factor always assumes a worst-case daylighting scenario, assuming no sun and cloudy sky.  So a Clear Sky model would not give you correct DF values.

You can indeed use the Clear Sky model (as if doing analyses for LEED or other bench marks) when you run the model through Radiance.  It will give you more accurate values for specific times of day and year.  Note that even this Clear Sky model is not exactly accurate, since it assumes no atmospheric pollution or clouds (impossible).

For the most accurate daylighting simulation, exporting to DAYSIM is quite good as it accounts for the sky brightness from the weather file.  Unfortunately, using DAYSIM simulation takes much, much longer to do the calculations...

Let me know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 12 of 12
jy492330

Greatly appreciate the tip. Indeed, I am working on a simulation to satisfy
a LEED credit - IEQ 8.1 Daylight. Your clarification is super helpful !

Thank you !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report