Did you mean: 

Importing Radiance grid results back to Ecotect - no data found issue

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
missrocki
5446 Views, 7 Replies

Importing Radiance grid results back to Ecotect - no data found issue

Hello all,

I seem to be encountering a problem in reimporting grid analysis results from Radiance back into Ecotect.

The objective is to calculate the daylight levels (illuminance values) in footcandles at the 3 major points of the year (Winter and summer solstice and equinox).Daysim works fine, but I really want to have specific values at the particular time of the year instead of an average provided by Daysim.

I follow through all the steps of exporting from Ecotect to Radiance:

1. Placing camera inside the model

2. Fitting analysis grid to model

3. Making sure I have the correct weather data as well as longitude/latitude coordinates for the location

3. Exporting to Radiance

4. Setting parameters: Step1. Selecting Illuminance Image (lux) Step 2. Selecting Surface and/or Point Analysis Step 3. Selecting Analysis Grid Step 4. Selecting interior views Step 5. Selected Camera Views Step 6. Medium accuracy Step 7. All if correct with Radiance installation Step 8. Don't modify anything

Step 9 see attached screenshot.

I export, Radiance runs and then window appears to verify if I want to import grid results (see attached screen shot). I select Daylighting levels and then another window appears telling me that "Invalid file format -no data found" (see screen shot). When I go verify where the files are store, the .ok file is indeed 0KB.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong and where to sort the problem. Please help!

I am using Ecotect Analysis 2010, Windows 7 32bit.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
missrocki
in reply to: missrocki

Also here is the screen shot image of what Radiance generated. The .ok file is 0KB.

Message 3 of 8
Boesselmann

Dear missrocki

please remove the  empty space from you document path. Please also try to keep the document path as short as possible.

if that does not work try to run the same simlation with nodes in stead of the simulation grid. The nodes you can also open in an excel sheet for further calculations.

best regards

Message 4 of 8
missrocki

Hi Boesselmann 

Thank you for your reply.

My file path doesn't contain any spaces. I attempted to simply use: C:/temp/1 and unfortunately, the results are the same.

I am not sure what selection/commands to use to do the simulation only with nodes and not the grid. Could you provide a step by step?

What I attempted what to turn on the select grid nodes button, select the nodes, but in the export menu, it was possible to select the 2D grid and objects tagged as shaded. The same result arises: file bis invalid.

Thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 8
Boesselmann

Hi missrocki

Try to also let the filepath of the Ectotect file not contain any empty spaces, not only the Radiance export one.

From your screenshot I can tell it is : ….15-10-001- RICHMOND Centre\Calculations\2011-03-01 skylight_rebuild-electric_top cove.eco . I usually have my ectotecct files with the same short filepath as your radiance export file.

In stead of an analysis grid you place the points in the model. (upper left of your interface below the messuretape)

Before proceeding to the Lighting Analysi pleas select the points to be simulated

In the Calculation Wizard pleas select:

-export to Radiance

next step

-Daylight Factors

next step

Surface and/or Point Analysis

next step

-Objects and Model AND Use only selected Objects

next step s until 9/9

If the problem is not with the space of the document path I guess the settings in the last summary step is wrong. It should look like this

screenshot.jpg

Please let me know if it worked.

best regards 

Message 6 of 8
missrocki

Hello!

I did attempt your suggestions (it is true that the ecotect path was long) - but no success.

Finally, discouraged, I deleted my Radiance and downloaded whatever version was available (though I am pretty sure it is the same). Depressingly enough, the calculations finally worked.

Thank you for your help though!

Message 7 of 8
Boesselmann

Hi Misrocki

I am afraid that this is a quite common solution to a problem 🙂

best regards

Message 8 of 8
helenaz

I'm getting the exact same error, I double checked my process and I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. I've done this analysis before and never had this problems. I have the same options selected in the export summary screen than missrocki (see attached screen shot). I don't have spaces in the name of the file, which is save in my C:/, and it's very short name. I have no idea of why I get this error. Please please help!

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report