Ecotect Analysis Forum (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Import model with curve (complex mesh)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
646 Views, 1 Reply

How to Import model with curve (complex mesh)

Hello,

I tried to export a model from Rhino to Ecotect.

First i convert the model in mesh then i export it with ecotect configuration in a DXF.

The problem is when i import it in Ecotect i have a to complex model, to many mesh wich is not the orignal mesh.

I scale the model correctly, then i try with diffrent option "Remove duplicate faces", "auto merge triangles" but it always the same problem.

When i import it without scale it i can show the model in the 3D editor, but when i scale it 1000 times to have the good scale i only can show it ine the Visualise tab.

From rhino model: (DXF export)

RhinoToEcotect1.jpg

Import option in ecotect :

RhinoToEcotect2.jpg

Import result in ecotect:

RhinoToEcotect3.jpg

Regards

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Pennetier1
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dorianrigal, 

Ecotect does not has the ability to have real "curved" geometry; it will always by a segmentation process.  Also, non-planar surfaces will also have to be broken down into multiple planar surfaces, typically triangles.  This is okay for the type of analyses you would want to do with Ecotect.

What I would do with your terrain is to leave it as is in Rhino - try not to convert your model into a mesh object and see how Ecotect imports that. Creating a mesh might create an overly complex object and Ecotect has to triangulate all the surfaces.  Simply export your terrain as a .dxf and import it in Ecotect and see if that helps.  You will still have many surfaces, which you can clean up using the Merge Coincident Triangles option.

As far as not seeing the model in the 3D editor, have you tried to press the Crtl + F to try to force fitting the ground plane grid to your model?  Sometimes when the import is scaled up, the original grid is much too small for the model, and Ecotect will import the model in some far off distance.  Can you see the model in the 3D editor under different views such as top (F5) or side (F6, F7)?

I hope that helps.

Let me know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report