Heating and Cooling Loads Reversed

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sean.m.hayes
717 Views, 5 Replies

Heating and Cooling Loads Reversed

Hi,

I have a building model in Ecotect, and am using it to get an idea of overall energy consumption.

When I select "Heating Only" as my HVAC system type, the only load I have when I do a resource consumption analysis is a heating load. The opposite is also true, when I select "Cooling Only", I have mainly a heating load.

Can anyone explain why this might be the case please? Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Cheers,

Sean

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sean.m.hayes
in reply to: sean.m.hayes

Apologies for the typo, I meant to say that when I select "Heating Only" as my HVAC system type, the only load I have when I do a resource consumption analysis is a cooling load. The opposite is also true, when I select "Cooling Only", I have mainly a heating load. Apologies, any help would be seriously appreciated!

Message 3 of 6
Pennetier1

Hello Sean, 

Indeed that is the case, and has been for some time.  It is is a bug in the software whereas, as you found out, Ecotect shows Daily Energy Use (under the Resource Consumption tab) for the Heating when the "Cooling Only" type of system is selected for the Zone, and shows Cooling when the "Heating Only" type of system is selected.

If you select "Full Air Conditioning" for system type, obviously you will get both of them under the Daily Energy Use graph.

The labels have just been reversed in the programing, but the results are consistent with what you would get in the "Monthly Load" calculation of the Thermal Analysis.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 4 of 6
sean.m.hayes
in reply to: Pennetier1

Hi Olivier,

Many thanks for clearing this up, much appreciated.

Further to this question, could I please confirm that the settings made in the "Systems Library" have no effect on the resource consumption calculated by Ecotect? i.e. they are just for exporting to SBEM?

Many thanks once again,

Best Regards,

Sean

Message 5 of 6
Pennetier1

Hi Sean, 

You are correct, any input to the SBEM Profile is only accounted for SBEM export and does not influence the calculations performed by Ecotect.

There are quite a few items in the software that are only useful to other third party tools to which Ecotect export its file.

I am not sure if Ecotect uses these input to the systems library to calculate Part-L compliance, for which it outputs a report (Calculate menu > Building Regulations).

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 6 of 6
sean.m.hayes
in reply to: Pennetier1

Hi Olivier,

Many thanks for this, much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Sean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report