Did you mean: 

Green facade thermal simulation

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
e1228010
981 Views, 1 Reply

Green facade thermal simulation

Dear all,

I am new in the forum and I am really glad if you are going to be able to help me!

I am doing my master thesis and I have to simulate a building with a green facade on it and without green facade in order to see what are the thermal benefits of having green facade on your building. So now I am searching for a program which can do that. My question is of Autodesk Ecotect can do that and if it can - how?

The green facade construction is simple - there are ropes and the vegetation is clumbing on them - so it is something like a green screen with thicknes of around 5cm. 

Thanks for the help in advance 

Best regards 

Kosta 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Pennetier1
in reply to: e1228010

Hello e1228010, 

Sorry for the late reply... I have been going through old unanswered posts lately...

Indeed, you can simulate your green facade in Ecotect.  What your facade is, is really a shading device.

I would first create a new material - probably a PANEL element - that has the same Visible Transmittance you would expect from your green facade. It looks like you are using some kind of Ivy and would have the same transparency all year long.  Perhaps starting with a transmittance of 20% could be a good start.

Next I would create planes 30 mm away from your thermal zone facades and assign them that green screen material. Create these planes on a separate, non-thermal zone, just like you would do for any shading devices.

Thermal analyses should show you the benefits of the green facade screen. One thing it will not account for though, is the potential cooling effect that plants can have on their micro-environment due to higher levels of humidity.

I hope that helps a bit.

Let me know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report