Did you mean: 

ECOTECT_SENSOR POINT CREATE

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
arindarrc
1933 Views, 24 Replies

ECOTECT_SENSOR POINT CREATE

Hello, I am searching for a way to -generate the sensor point file *.pts with just a few points -how to import it into Ecotect -how to feed it into Daysim -how to reimport it back so I can see graphically the points with their values in Ecotect or RHino so that i get the result of a daylight simulation only on this points. This would trim down the calculation time lacking CPU.. I would kindly appreciate any hint and advices, since strolling through blogs and trying Optics, Window, Comfen, brought me very far from successful sofar. Kind Regards from Vienna, Stella
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Pennetier1
in reply to: arindarrc

Hi Stella,

I have just ran some tests, i.e. using an analysis grid on two identical models, but different North orientations.  I ran the DAYSIM calculation, and indeed, the model with the offset North creates a second *.pts file named *.pts.rotated.pts, which DAYSIM uses for calculations.  You can open these files in a text editor to look at the changes between the two files.

After DAYSIM calculations are done, I have re-imported various *.DA files into Ecotect.

1. When importing back the Daylight Factor.DA files, there are almost no differences between the results.  You may expect a difference since the orientation of the model is different, however, this makes sense to me since Daylight Factor is typically calculated under Overcast Sky conditions, whereas the orientation of the model should not have any consequences, since there are no sun in the sky.

2. When importing back the Dayligh Autonomy.DA files, there are also almost no difference.  I am not sure if the calculation uses the daylight factor or the illuminance values.  If the daylight autonomy uses the daylight factor values, then it makes sense again. When Ecotect calculates Daylight Autonomy (under the calculate menu > Advanced Daylighting), it requires and uses Daylight Factor values.

3. When importing the other type of files, such as the Useful Daylight index files, the values are quite different, which would make sense if using typical illuminance values (not daylight factors).

I am still not sure what the issue is with your file, please zip and attach to this forum or email me directly.

Although you can assign names to objects such as sensor points, you cannot do the same for sensor points belonging to an analysis grid.

I hope we can resolve your problem soon.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 22 of 25
arindarrc
in reply to: Pennetier1

Hello Olivier, here is my output from Ecotect and Daysim3.1. Hope the attachment uploads this time. Best, Stella
Message 23 of 25
Pennetier1

Hi Stella, Niya, 

I think part of the problem comes from the fact that when Ecotect re-imports the *.DA file from DAYSIM, it reads only the results of each analysis point without looking at the actual coordinate from the file.  Thus, for Ecotect, the value of the first point is on the first line of the *.DA file, and assigns that value to the first bottom left corner point of the analysis.  The problem is that DAYSIM rotates the *.pts file and assign new coordinates, which are not read by Ecotect.

Are you having the issue only when you are off-setting the North arrow?

One way around this might be to edit your *.DA file. These files show the coordinates of each grid points and their value.  You can open the *.DA files with a simple text editor, by changing the extension from *.DA to *.txt.

I am not sure if that is what you were trying to do - truthfully I am not quite sure what you are trying to do or analyze! Daylight factors should always be the same regardless of the orientation of your model, since it is calculated using an Overcast Sky.

Regarding only using some points instead of the whole grid, I am not sure I understand either; Ecotect calculates the daylighting over the entire grid (whether or not you see it), then displays only certain grid points.  These grid points can be turned off (hide) or turn on (show) using the "Select Grid Nodes" button at the bottom of the Analysis Grid control panel. The script I have written for you does just that: it turns off certain random points on the existing grid; you can of course do this manually.

Maybe if you email me or attach here a *.zip file of your Ecotect models, it would be more helpful for me to understand your problem.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 24 of 25
arindarrc
in reply to: Pennetier1

Hello Olivier, I needed some time to try a few things out. I am glad to say we´ve found the culprit. Thank you for the hint -from the *.da file we took the data and exported into an excel sheet. with it we have reconstructed the graphic result from Daysim but not into Ecotect. yet we have made a script in grasshopper for that purpose with a live link between the excel and rhino file. with the help of the script we can finally vizualise the real daylight factor results...e fin:) i have emailed you from before the shifting results from ecotect and daysim. this is the result from grashopper that nails it down. thank you for your engagement to help us. kind regards, Niya and Stella
Message 25 of 25
Pennetier1

Hi Niya and Stella, 

Glad you were able to make it work!  It sounds like a lot of work though.

I would still like to figure out the issue from within Ecotect without having to go through some other tools...

Could you send me your *.eco file where the issue appears?  I would like to give it a go again, at least try to replicate the issue on my end, which I have been unsuccessful here.

Cheers

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report