Did you mean: 

Ecotect and Win Air 4

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
BOLEHLAH
16711 Views, 24 Replies

Ecotect and Win Air 4

Hi  Anyone,

I want to run the CFD Air Flow Analysis on Ecotect and WinAir 4 and have strictly followed the instruction for the CFD Analysis as per the link below: http://www.proxyarch.com/wiki/index.php?title=Computational_Fluid_Dynamics. I have changed my clock to 2006

Unfortunately, there was an error in  running WinAir 4.

I cant even install NIST FDS on my desktop as well as there was an error in running the app.

Can anyone in Autodesk please advice if Ecotect does actually allow CFD analysis to be done. This is because i quite dissapointed with all the hype about Ecotect when it doing not much more than Solar analysis. HELP please. Got a presentation in 2 days time.

Thanks

Daniel.

1120i2359DFA105A3B0271122i4BFF9A1C59F29A7C

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
jon.gardzelewski
in reply to: BOLEHLAH

You need to install the program to c:\WinAir\winAIR4.exe, and you need full permissions to access and write to your C drive.  Also, save the export and "output" files in this location.

Does that fix it?

Message 3 of 25
lmpourik

I am trying to find the WinAIR 4 but I cannot. There is no reference in the CRiBE website...

Do you know from where I could buy or download it?

Is it free?

Thank you a lot!

Leonidas

Message 4 of 25
lmpourik
in reply to: lmpourik

A, sorry for bothering you, I have missed before the part with the clock setting...I will try again according to 

the link in the first post.

Thank you anyway!

Message 5 of 25
Boesselmann
in reply to: lmpourik

I have contacte the Cardiff university, which developed the programe, asking where to download it. The answer:

Unfortunately, this is an educational tool which we have developed internally and at the moment there is no external licence.

We are hoping to market it externally but this won't be in the near future

I am now using a trial version of Design Builder to run CFD simulations. It looks very good.

best regards

Message 6 of 25
borikg
in reply to: jon.gardzelewski

what is WinAir 4? is it database of winds or software for wind analysis?

Message 7 of 25
Boesselmann
in reply to: borikg

..its a software for windanalysis

Message 8 of 25
T1001010

Hi bolehlah,

how do you fix the error? 

I have the same error "Problem in initialization please see screen"

thx

T

Message 9 of 25
BOLEHLAH
in reply to: T1001010

Hi T,

To fix the message, uncheck auto start  Win Air 4  export to Win Air 4 . In WinAir 4. under File, Load Geometry and Load Control. it will be able to run. Remember to turn back the clock to 2006

Let me know if there an issue with it.

Message 10 of 25
Boesselmann

Dear Boleah, jon gardzelewski, Impourik, T10001010

could anyone of you please tell us other where to download WIn Air 4. You are obviously using the programe.

As it is easter you can make a little riddle out of it, if you like . your information would be really aprechiatet not only by me

regards

Christian

Message 11 of 25
khalef

The only version available is the 1.4b, it's an old one, but still work

https://rapidshare.com/files/460069923/WinAir-1.4b.rar

Message 12 of 25
gkvolara
in reply to: Boesselmann

how did you open the cfd data with Design Builder?

Message 13 of 25
arqyt
in reply to: khalef

I also spend much time hanging heads with Winair ... Ecotect certainly hope we will have that effect in Vasari. According to "believe" Ecotect and the analysis that permits Winair are only wind without thermal effects. DesignBuilder this is a good choice, and hopefully only for now. For when Autodesk can maintain the integrity of the analysis as was always the spirit of Ecotect?

Jose M Carralero.
ArqyT
Message 14 of 25
lutienisilra

graciassss.... 😃  Thanks to your answer I could run the program ... thanks from chile ... 😃

Message 15 of 25
Ashwinias
in reply to: lutienisilra

Can anyone share the link to download winair. I was using vasari for studying wind profile around high rise towers but now its not available. Trying to find another software for the wind study. Please suggest some softwares if you know.

Message 16 of 25
Pennetier1
in reply to: Ashwinias

Hello Ashwinias

I am attaching Winair here, with a short instruction.

You computer clock will probably need to be set to a date prior to 2008 on this one.  I typically do that or use another computer.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 17 of 25
Ashwinias
in reply to: Pennetier1

Hi,

Thanks a lot for winair setup file and instructions on operation. I had tried working on it but as per the instruction but bit confused about the how to save output file of winair which has to be uploaded in the ecotect. I tried to save it from winair and later opened it in the ecotect but its not showing any results.

Can you please help me with that.

Regards,

Ashwini

Message 18 of 25
Pennetier1

Hello Ashwinias

Here are the steps I usually take:

1. Set up your model and analysis grid: you can click on the Auto-fit Grid to Object button and use the  3D Air Flow option; that will automatically create a grid large enough for your model. Oftentimes, that grid is too large so I adjust it accordingly  so it is small and fit my model.

2. Select the CFD Cell Blockages and click the Perform Calculation at the bottom of the Analysis Grid Control Panel.

3. In the CFD window, I typically select the Boundary option.

4. When Cell Blockage are done calculated, go to the Export Manager control panel and select Winair CFD and export Model Data.

5. Save your .geo file (I save on desktop).

6. The CFD analysis windows open and you can fill the wind speed and direction; I typically leave the other field as is; I do check the Horizontal Air flow. Click OK and this will save your .con file.

7. Open Winair and open your .geo file, then your .con file.  Make sure that when you open the .geo file, your number of grid cell does not exceed the maximum (250,000) possible.

8. Select your output file location; here I also save it to my desktop.

9. Run the calculations.

10. When finish, go back to Ecotect and select the Load CFD data and press the Load OUTPUT file button.

11. Look for your .dat file and select the New type of file in the option window that pops up.

12. Your grid should load with the CFD data; by default it displays cell temperature, but you can scroll down the type of data to display in the Analysis Grid control panel and select Air Flow Rate.  The analysis is done for the full 3D grid, so you can select the different axis to display the results.

I hope this helps a bit better.

Let me know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 19 of 25
Ashwinias
in reply to: Pennetier1

Hi,

Thanks for the sending steps to be followed.Please find attached output file. If you can run in your ecotect and check whether the outputs are fine. If you have any output file of your project please send so that I can verify it with my project outputs.

Regards,

Ashwinias

Message 20 of 25
Pennetier1

Hello Ashwinias

Your project is missing the output file with the extension *.dat.  Your file named "OUTPUT" has no extension and I do not know where it comes from. Refer to the steps on my previous post: once you have loaded your *.geo file and your *.con file, go to the menu > select output file or press F3.  It will ask you to name and give the location of the output file once the calculations are done.  You can then upload this *.dat file in Ecotect.

I have ran your 2.geo and 2.con files and got the attached 2.dat.
Load this .dat in Ecotect and you should get data on your grid:

CFD grid.jpg

Let me know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Cheers,
Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report