Did you mean: 

create view point file for Daysim

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
arindarrc
12433 Views, 18 Replies

create view point file for Daysim

Hello, I feel the need to ask you a question that is maybe not even in your bag with questions. Is there any elegant way to create the view point file for generating the annual analysis in Daysim? what are the break down steps for achieving it? Have tried to manually edit the sample in vf folder and set as input in Daysim, yet problem remained unsolved. Kind Regards, Stella
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Pennetier1
in reply to: arindarrc

Hi Stella, 

I do not know any "elegant" ways of creating the *.vf viewpoint files for DAYSIM; 

Here is how I'd do it:

1. Set up your model and camera views in Ecotect and run the Radiance analysis.  This will create a .rif file

2. Open the .rif file in the Radiance Control Panel (RCP) from the Ecotect Tool Menu > Edit Radiance Project.

3. The last line of the file, under " View definition", will list your variables for the viewpoint file.

4. Copy and and paste onto a text editor.

5. Replace the "view= c1" with "rview Perspective"

6. Save as .vf

7. Use this .vf file when running DAYSIM.  Should work.  Make sure there is enough light in your space or else the dgp calculation won't run.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 3 of 19
chrysohe
in reply to: Pennetier1

Dear,

I followed your instructions about how to create a view point file for daysim but I stuck at step 6 where I have to save the file as  .vf. How can I do it?

Also should I Copy and and paste onto a .txt file?

Please help. 

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Chryso

Message 4 of 19
Pennetier1
in reply to: chrysohe

Hello chrysohe

Yes, i am sorry this wasn't very clear.

I meant to say that you copy and paste into a text editor such as notepad.  Now if you were to just "save" that file, it would save as a *.txt file.  But what you want is a *.vf file, so when you go to "save as" in your text editor, after your file name type .vf and it should save as *.vf.

That's it.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 5 of 19
chrysohe

Thank you very much Pennetrier,

It works!! 

I will be more than grateful if you can response to another question. 

I am using the Ecotect Radiance/Daysim exporter. I have created the view point file and I run the simulation. 

Where is this file saved? Where can I find the DGP values? Can I find somewhere the Image of my fisheye view showing the glare source with colour?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Chryso

Message 6 of 19
Pennetier1

Hello chrysohe

DGP (Daylight Glare Probability) can be computed via the Evalglare.exe that comes with Daysim, but in fact you do not need to go through Daysim to do this.  You can simply create a fisheye luminance view in Ecotect and render it through Radiance.  Once you have create the fisheye luminance image *.pic, you have a few options:

1. You can manually run the evalglare.exe program, which requires a little bit of gymnastic as you have to go through a DOS command prompt to run evalglare.exe calculations.  That is the main approach and a very good tutorial about doing this can be found at this link: GLARE ANALYSIS WITH EVALGLARE from Harvard University.  The result will be an image with colored areas of potential glare, as well as DGP and other glare indices.

2. An easier way I have recently found is to use an application called hdrscope, which will compute the same calculations but all within a graphical interface that makes it easier to use than DOS command prompt.  You can download the application at this site:hdrscope.

Whichever method you use, you will end up with the same rendered image showing areas of glare, such as this one:

evalglare.jpg

Best,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 7 of 19
chrysohe

Dear Pennetier1,

Really thank you for your very helpful information!!!!

I have downloaded the  hdrscope in order to evaluate glare. Do you have any tutorial for the glare analysis as the evalglare documentation is no longer online available.

Actually I inserted a *pic image in the hdrscope and the I selected Tool> Analyze> glare analysis> entire image>set view by type (hemispherical fish eye 180, 180) and in the advanced option I didn't select anything and when I finished the analysis nothing happened on my image. No colours appearing in my image to show glare potential. 

Do you have any idea why this happens? I believe I should have glare. 

THANKS once again.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Chryso

Message 8 of 19
Pennetier1

Hello chrysohe

I do not know why this is not working for you.

First, I would not change the view type > hemispherical option if your original image is already fisheye. This option is only if your original image is NOT hemispherical as far as I understand, so you really do not have to select this option.

Second, I would make sure that your fisheye image is indeed a luminance image and not a illuminance image calculation (cd/m2 and not lux), since that is how glare is defined.  I have a feeling you used radiance to calculate illuminance rather than luminance.

Also, make sure that your image is not larger than 800x800 pixel, as evalglare does not work on higher size.  You can adjust the size of your image in the Ecotect's wizard for Radiance.

As far as documentation, I am attaching the evalglare's documentation that came with the version I am using.  Not much to it.  Also you can go through the hdrscope documentation online at their website.

Hope that helps,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 9 of 19
chrysohe

Dear Pennetier1,

I am more than grateful to you. Thank you very much.

The problem was that I made illuminance image calculation (lux).

Best wishes,

Chryso

Message 10 of 19
chrysohe

Dear Pennetier1,

Sorry for bothering you again. I would like to ask your opinion about hrdscople. Specifically I made glare analysis in my room and although some colours  appear in the render image, the analysis results are the following:

dgp,dgi,ugr,vcp,cgi,Lveil: -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00  

What does this mean? Why it cannot end up with numbers?

I attached my render image:

southb.gif

Thank you in advance,

Chryso

Message 11 of 19
Pennetier1

Hello chrysohe

I do not know what this mean either.

Can you send me or post your *.pic file you are using?  I can try on my end to see what I get.

Thanks,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 12 of 19
chrysohe

Hi Pennetier1,

I attached two .pic files. The RCP_C1 works and it can end up with results. The RCP_C2 does not work and it is the one that I am interested about.
I don't understand why this happens.

Thank you in advance,
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Chryso
Message 13 of 19
Pennetier1

Hello chrysohe

uhmm, very strange indeed. The culprit image works just fine on my machine, using hdrscope:

glare.jpgdgp.jpg

I get a DGP of 0.23, which is a low threshold for glare.

I have opened your *.RIF file in the Radiance Control Panel (Ecotect menu > Tools > Edit radiance Project) and all looks good from there.

Have you tried the same file multiple times? I wonder if your *.PIC did not get corrupted at some point, but then the one you sent me works just fine on my machine, so I suspect an issue with hdrscope... Does it still work for the first *.PIC image?

I would try to uninstall hdrscope and re-install again and see what happens.

Do you know what version of Evalglare you are using?  How about Radiance?

Here is a fc shot of your view using another tool called FalseColor, which allows to display a logarithmic scale:

RCP_c2_fc.jpg

If it still does not work, I would email hdrscope to ask about the specific message you received.  I have emailed them in the last few month and they were quite responsive and helpful.  There is a contact link on their website for bug report.  Either way, let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 14 of 19
chrysohe

Hi Oliver,

Thank you very much for your email. Yes this is very strange. Because I can run the hdrscope for the first .pic and it can end up with results. 

I am not sure about the version of evalglare, it is the one that is integrated in the DAYSIM 3.1e for WIndows. Also i am using Desktop Randiance 2.0 Beta plug in for Autodesk ecotect analysis 2011.

I have unistall and reinstalled hdrscope and the results are the same: dgp,dgi,ugr,vcp,cgi,Lveil: -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00

The false colour works and the results I get are:

falsecolour.JPG

Could you please send an email to hdrscope to ask about the specific message I received? 

Thank you in advance,

Chryso

Message 15 of 19
Pennetier1

Hello chrysohe

Very puzzling indeed!

Researching this a bit tells me that the results hdrscope gives you (-1#IND00) means that some operations in the software is giving infinite negative result, such as dividing by zero. 
What is strange is that both your *.pic work just fine on my machine, so I do not think it is an issue with either Radiance, Evalglare or even hdrscope.
I have the same version of evalglare as you have (from Daysim 3.1e), and also use Desktop Radiance 2.0.

I have ran the evalglare manually using the command prompt and it gives me correct results:

evalglare.jpg

Have you tried re-running this particular view in Radiance and creating a new image?

In any case, you should contact hdrscope with your *.pic and explain the issue:

For bug reports please e-mail  hdrscope@uw.edu with [BUG] in the subject line followed by a brief description. You may use the body of the e-mail to explain more about the bug. Please mention the exact action or command you were performing which led to the bug you are reporting. If the bug is reproduce-able, it will help if you can list the sequence of steps that will reproduce the bug. Also, mentioning information such as OS version, Radiance install version, graphics card/driver, camera model and driver, SDK version etc. will help us provide a faster response.

Let me know of any breakthrough in this issue.

Cheers,
Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 16 of 19
chrysohe

Hi Pennetrier  and thank you for your email. I have just tried to run evalglare.exe and I got the same strange results. 

For a reason that I dont understand, I cannot save the Radiance image with different name or I cannot find it in the folder which all .pic files are saved. 

I have sent a mail to hdrscope and I wish that they can give me their lights.

I will keep you inform.

Thanks,

Chryso

Message 17 of 19

I have some question need your help, DGP (Daylight Glare Probability) can be computed via the Evalglare.exe on my computer,but when i use hdrscope, it can not open *.pic. can you help me.
Message 18 of 19
chrysohe
in reply to: 815141681

Try to change settings as follow:
tonemapping fro jpeg- reinhard
image display- compressed (faster)
Message 19 of 19

Thank you very much ,this problem bothering me for a long time,today finally solved

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report