Ecotect

Ecotect

TrisQ
Message 1 of 2 (294 Views)

Assigning a Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function (BRDF) to surfaces

294 Views, 1 Replies
06-04-2011 10:41 PM

I'd like to simulate some microoptical (prism-film like) features in a daylighting analysis, utlimately producing annual light availability maps (false color, with shadowing).

Since I don't know how to capture the optical functions in Ecotect, I am considering to simulate/measure these as BRDFs and then assign BRDFs (as kind of a black-box approach) to the respective surfaces. I know Radiance can work well with BRDFs. But is this possible in Ecotect as well? And how do I assign a BRDF to a surface?

Thanks for any help.

Best,

TrisQ

Contributor
raniat123
Message 2 of 2 (287 Views)

Re: Assigning a Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function (BRDF) surface

06-05-2011 03:05 PM in reply to: TrisQ

I'm in the same situation like you , and this is what I'm going to do , I'm going to assign any material from Ecotect's library to the window , something like Double_Glazed_Alum material or any other material , then I'm going to create a material file (.rad File) with the same name and place it in the same file's directory , the file for prismatic materials with two bidirectional refraction is something like that

void prism2 id
9 coef1 dx1 dy1 dz1 coef2 dx2 dy2 dz2 prism.cal
4 A1 A2 A3 A4

where

A1: refractive index (around 1.5)

A2: The thickness of the triangular prism

A3: The height of the upper triangular prism

A4: The height of the lower triangular prism

( I attached a picture of the prismatic glazing so you know what are the variables mean)

then when you export to radiance check the box that says check for .rad materials , Radiance will use the file you created instead of ecotect's material, you can import Radiance's result back to ectotect for further analysis. I doubt that you can produce annual daylighting Availability because I asked the same question to Cristoph Reinhart , the Creator of Daysim and this is what he said:

"the reason for Daysim crashing is that function file (*.cal) materials
cannot be handled by the modified rtrace_dc version that Daysim uses to
calculate the daylight coefficients for the different sensor points. I
wish that I could easily solve this but the Radiance code surrounding
function files is somewhat of a mystery to me."

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.