Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abnormal program termination

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Vinzz
871 Views, 14 Replies

Abnormal program termination

Hi, if I want to open an gbXML file (created from LandXplorer), ecotect shows me this error: "Abnormal program termination." and then the program crash. Does somebody has clue, why Ecotect show me this error? Thanks for helping

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
road619runner
in reply to: Vinzz

I created a file .eco with ecotect and when I try to open it I have the same problem: abnormal program terminatio and crash!

Someone can help me?

Message 3 of 15
Pennetier1
in reply to: road619runner

Hello road619runner, 

Can you attach your file here so I can have a look on my machine?

When did you create the original .eco file?  Same version?  Was it created entirely within Ecotect or was it an import from another CAD tool?

Any supplemental information would help me trouble shoot your issue (such as screen shot of the error etc...).

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 4 of 15
road619runner
in reply to: Pennetier1

Inviato da iPad
Message 5 of 15
road619runner

I imported a 3ds file and I worked on it... When I save in .eco I can't open the file.... If I save .mod I can open the file but lost some settings...

It's frustrating because I can open other file .eco.....

1) the originary 3ds file is corrupted
2) I don' know

I uninstalled the program and reinstalled... But nothing changed
Message 6 of 15

3ds created by sktchup
Message 7 of 15
Pennetier1

Hi road619runner, 

It is hard to trouble shoot your issue without the file itself.

Typically, I would import from Sketchup to Ecotect using either .dxf or .obj file format.

The reason for this is for better layer management once in Ecotect.

When importing .dxf from Sketchup, the layers will be setup in Ecotect (Zones) the same way as they are set up in Sketchup. If doing so, be sure to set the option not to export edges while in the Sketchup dxf export window.

The other option is exporting .obj, which will create zones in Ecotect that matches the various materials used in Sketchup.  That can be very useful for cleaning up the model as well.

Importing .3ds in Ecotect creates a layer for each and every object in your Sketchup model, which is very cumbersome and not very useful once in Ecotect.

How large is your Sketchup / .3ds file?  If it is very large, I have had issues in the past importing into Ecotect for lack of memory.

I hope the above options work better for you.

Let me know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 8 of 15
road619runner

Thx for the suggests, tomorrow I'll try to work on the skethup file exporting it on dxf.

The Eco filee is large, I see tested that the program save the same file when i don't apply the wether file(download from the net following all the right passes)... when i put the wheter... starts the problems and if I save the file in .mod... I lost the weather setting(not the material settings applied on ecotect)

PS how can I chose your reply as solution? The original topic is not mine...
Message 9 of 15
Pennetier1

Hi road619runner, 

That is interesting about the weather file.  Typically, Ecotect does not store the weather file directly within the .eco file itself, but rather saves the link to where your .wea files reside on your computer.

Have you tried opening and saving a small .eco test file using the same weather file to see if it could be the culprit?

You can zip it and attach it to this post for me to have a look at it as well.

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 10 of 15
road619runner

Hi Pennetier1,

this days I tried the to save a model putting the same setting... I sused the default church. When I opened it tha program give me the same message of error and opened me the eco house...

I find the problem!

I tried to use DIVIDE SURFACE, but it give me the same error, i controlled and i saw that it was in another scale... the draw was 1:1000 and so this function didn't work....

How can I set the new scale on the old file?

User preferences-localisation-mm?

Message 11 of 15

NO, the problem is not solved...

The first time I imported the draw with the factor scale 1.0

I worked with the real dimension for this reason I think I have to change 1000.0

I tried to configure the grid but I'm having some problem with the dimension of the draw and with the 3D visualization too...

Message 12 of 15
Pennetier1

Hi road619runner, 

I don't quite understand what you mean by DIVIDE SURFACE, but I can guide you to re-scale your model when you are importing into Ecotect.  Indeed, a lot of time user will import into Ecotect using the default native unit (mm) and it will be much too small and some strange error will pop up, so it is important to import to Ecotect using the correct scaling units.

When you are in the Import Geometry window (File menu > Import > 3D CAD Geometry), there is a drop down menu by the Scale Model By: option.

Depending on the program you used to export your model, you will have to use different units.  For example, ArchiCAD typically uses meter; AutoCAD feet, Sketchup inches etc...

So if you have exported from Sketchup, try to import and use the Scale Model By Inches -> mm (25.4).  That should import your model at the correct scale.

However, with all that said, I do not understand why you still have problems saving default .eco files such as the ChurchHouse.eco.

Can you post a screenshot of your error message here?

Cheers,

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 13 of 15
road619runner

Error

I Opend a basic file, a default weather file and a script file (as required), then I tried to save the file... I'm sure that the script file cause this error, is it essential to work?

The file eketch up that I have is in m when I save and export in ecotect if I put the factor scale 1.0 the meter becomes millimetres, I'm sure of this because a floor of 4m is reported as 0,004 with the "measure" instrument.

when i say "divide surface" I wanto to say "modify-surface subdivision- rectangular ties"

Surface subdivision settings

Message 14 of 15
Pennetier1

Hi road619runner, 

You do not need to open a script file. What is the script you are trying to open and why?

If you want to save it as a text file and attach it to your post, i will see if that is what causes your issue.

It sounds like you have the scale factor issue figured out.

Now what units have you set up in Ecotect under User Preferences? mm? - that would not affect the scaling of your model, as Ecotect's native unit is always the mm, but it only changes the dimensioning of your model.  So in your Surface Subdivision window, if you enter "1" it would mean 1 mm.

Also, I see that you do not enter any value in your Surface Offset.  You should always enter something there or else the surface created will be in the same plane as the original surface; this can be ok if you plan on deleting that original surface afterward.  Also, you may not want the newly created surface to be a child object of your original surface.  Up to you.

Cheers

Olivier A. PENNETIER

SYMPHYSIS

www.symphysis.net

Message 15 of 15
road619runner

I set the model dimension on meters

Model dimension

I didn't eliminate the original surface because I wanted to use the subdivision only to calculate the solar access,  the original sirfaces give me a better image when I calculate the shadows. I can prepare 2  draw, one with the suface (and eliminate the original surface without th offset because I need the original position of the surfaces) and one simply only to calculate the shadows.

Thanks for all the suggests

Later I'll send you the script file

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report