Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positioning objects on a mesh?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
matthew_bailey
363 Views, 2 Replies

Positioning objects on a mesh?

I wasn't sure whether this should go in "General," "Modeling," or "Dynamics."

I am trying to build chainmail, where each link is modeled, but then the rings are then linked to an nCloth, where one set of "Rows" of links are positioned at the center of each polygon in the nCoth, and rotated 60º, and the other set of "Rows" of links are positioned at the verteces of each polygon, and rotated -60º.

With the rings being the appropriate size, this creates an interlocking chainmail pattern.

I have tried simply parenting them to the nCloth (doesn't work), and I have tried Skinning them to a rig (doesn't work).

I heard someone mention the technique above for a different software package, and suggested I see if Maya has something similar.

DOES IT???

MB

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tdHendrix
in reply to: matthew_bailey

You can try using this very useful script called djRivet to attach the chainmail pieces to the nCloth geometry. You'll have to do some searching around to find a version of djRivet that works with the version of Maya you're using.

If you're using Maya 2014 I can upload a version of djRivet that works with 2014 when I get home.

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 3 of 3
agraham
in reply to: matthew_bailey

I'd try using follicles. They're pretty solid.
--
Adrian Graham
Principal User Experience Designer
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report