Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nHair translate problems...

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
bobtype1
2383 Views, 15 Replies

nHair translate problems...

so i am studying the nhair tutorial from digital tutors to add hair to painteffects hair and...

when i got to the section about making the hair move with your geometry i got this problem:

take1.jpg

as you can see the center part of the hair line lines up with with nose in the model

take2.jpg

as you can see when i render the image in ipr the gig line is to the left of the model

take3.jpg

i got this error when trying to use the classic cache

take4.jpg

after parenting the entire hair system to the bone system as you can see the hair system now 

skews to the right of the center line. 

it also skews to the left and right in the render image too. this effect happens with or without a cache, parenting, multiple variations of the file. 

i am thinking i have to start the hair system from the begining all over again...

any suggestions would be helpful.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
bobtype1
in reply to: bobtype1

derr.. i was pretty tierd when i wrote this it is sopposed to be : attaching Nhair to painteffects "curves"

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/677-Creating-Hairstyles-with-Maya-Hair

Message 3 of 16
bobtype1

by the by the model is a variation of Daz3d 'laura' skin and custom geometry, re-rigged for maya, the hair was created by lofting curves painted on the

polygons and extracing U curves then attaching nhair system to curves. not sure why the render skews the system when it shows up striaght int he IPR

view, before rendering. the cache is a simple head turn 15 degrees left at 90 frames and back at 120, there are about 50,000 individual hair curves

atacked to about 3,000 curves in the dynamic simulation.

Message 4 of 16
bobtype1

Message 5 of 16
bobtype1

in this video my mouse is screwed up because i am using dual screen (it is high and to the left), but as you can see when the neck is tilted 30' and all the geo is parented to the head shape that the hair system does not follow the mesh. 

the follicle curves do follow the mesh but the start curves do not, (after deleting the history on the start curves they do follow the mesh but the hair does not), also the original lofted curves follow the mesh on the side but not on the back... big WTF?

i have gone over it and can't see where it is deviating from the core principles of Nhair.

is it the nucleus?

Message 6 of 16
bobtype1

I finally got around to making another dynamic hair system, which also failed since it is not plug and play

which i cover in this video showing the two problems i had. enjoy my flounder 🙂

Message 7 of 16
bobtype1

if you look you can see that there are about 3 folicles on the forehead and the start curves and pfx hairs just disapear....

i sifted throught the tutorials and couldn't find the option i was looking fro that alows you to lower the root, but i did find a 

section from maya 7 (alias) that stated you should just insert another hair system to cover up the bald spot...

what a load of crap! so you are saying that the 100 pfx hairs just disapeared? where did they go? if i gave you 1,000

dollars and 100 of it disapeared would it be acceptable to you?

am i sopposed to believe that after a decade of evolution Nhair still stinks? it hasn't been updated in all that time 

with all the hair system i see on TV, like gaurdians of the galaxy? there had to have been like 2,000 hair systems in 

that movie.

Message 8 of 16
bobtype1

i got past the baldness problem, it seems that the view port only supports 1 million PFX but it renders fine in the 'render view' with mental ray... but not in batch. totally no clue there. perhaps the use of a fur and Nhair in same scene...

Message 9 of 16
bobtype1

here is a video that covers the problems i am having batch rendering, across a multimachine platform. 

to continue griping about Nhair and how it does not conform to the 3 tutorials from digital tutors i tried 

to replicate... thus either the tutorials are fake, or more likely the software is crap. not even working 

with itself.

Message 10 of 16
bobtype1

still going...

i finally got it to run as a batch file, on the multimachine... but i have other problems, such as the baldness maps not loading, the light changing direction, the alpha matt turning on and off, shadows turning on and off, despite common hair attributes i decided i don't like after looking at the playblast. in theory it should have taken about 3 hours but in practice with the server nodes crashing 

several times during the process it took more like 20 hours. how come when i steal crap from lucas films it runs great, but when i try to work on my own stuff it crashes? like superstitous coincidence man. kinda like when i certain frame refuses to run on one node after 2 hours but it renders on a seperate node in 4 minutes less than par? now i just have to do it 200 more times or so to get a nice stockpile of characters to draw from.

i am going to classify this as a success, even though no producer would pay for this crap, that being that i have been wrestling Nhair for over 12 months now (including frustration breaks) word to autodesk your softwar stinks! (at least this part of it...)

by the by its a $12,000 workstation and a $17,000 microcloud plus autodesk and adobe... thats near 50 G's to find out what is in the box. and behind door number 2 is? 12 months of pain and suffering. i would not suggest this product to friends.

Message 11 of 16
bobtype1

now for bench marks :))

since some dunce said last night: 'maybe you should have used an opteron'

the model has about 846 follicles, with 50 hairs per clump is around 47,000 hairs (so about half of a normal human)

in the video 'hair floob4' the batch render is using 'dual' opteron abudabhi 2.7Ghz 16 core bulldozer supported by 256gigs of ram and 8 gigs of video with 4,000 cuda cores. watch as it struggles to digest 30 hairs per clump, and crashes at 50/per, freezes at 100/per.

now if you will compare to video 'hair floob5' the batch render is using a microcloud 12 node each using a v2 xeon 4Ghz quad core

supported by 8 gigs ram and no video. see how with its outdated inferior architecture as it plows through frame after frame at

50 hairs per clump for hours with out overheating using nearly no electricity, in no time at all.

the workstation is running windows 8.1, and the server is running windows server 2012 r2 (which is basically the same thing)

notice also that the opteron uses nearly 16 gigs of ram to batch render at 30 hairs per clump, while the xeon uses only

6.7 gigs to render 50/per. with the option to upgrade each node to 32 gigs per processor i am confident that it would also

sucessfully render at 100 hairs per follicle. easily form fitting to the industry standard base model biped on a master beauty layer

with final gather and raytracing enabled, as to photons... we will leave that for another day...

Message 12 of 16
bobtype1

any special reason you

shut down my 'windows 8 mental ray sattelite' blog

since after all, lets face it...

it was autodesk that solicited me

to use your crap to buy the hardware

to... post this blog

i mean what am i getting out of it?

a bill for $22,000 dollars and a waste of time 

walking to a place with internet access so i can 

post some crap on your page.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 13 of 16
Discussion_Admin

I am sorry for the confusion but this community is primarily a peer to peer help resource occasionally Autodesk employees  drop by and chip in and support personal are active in certain boards. A place for users to ask other uses for help and such.

This is not an area for user to post blogs.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 14 of 16
bobtype1
in reply to: Discussion_Admin

it wasn't a blog, 

it was all the trouble i had intergrating your software namely mental ray sattelite and back burner 

into the new windows 8 and server 2012 operating systems, 

to which i left a detailed account of all the trouble i had and what i did to get it to work

along with other helpful hints to workflow efficiancy. 

and then some of the results people could expect using the new software ( of which  i found no helpful resources 

while i was upgrading )

whatever. i would totally ditch a page that had 1,000 views and sold my software too

Message 15 of 16
bobtype1

or was it the part where i had waited over a month and recieved no feedback from the admin

except to tell me they were skeptical there was a license bypass in afterburner listed on your 

home page. 

or for that matter have i received any hints or tips on this page after a month. 

i mean for 10 grand in software and 22 grand in hardware all you all have some great customer service. 

Message 16 of 16
bobtype1

It was after I asked for tech support on this $10,000 software. That I decided Autodesk tech support was non existent. So I read blogs and wrote down my college notes on YouTube. Vocabulary, description, software capabilities, keystrokes, high-res 1080.

And without knowing, my college notes set a standard for education. Every cg  college now uses my format.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCVdDplYtej9isHGnXHISR4Q

I don't blame you, people are trolls when they are frustrated...

I made this series for my church, because I saw people using an off the shelf laptop to do art. And I said: maybe they don't know industry makes hardware and software just for pro artists... Well, they do now.

Before my 33 hrs, there were F' words and innuendos, now just good education with thorough explanations and resolution you can see.

And still, Autodesk tech support?

Has a reputation.

The answer to my question 6 yrs ago.

Nhair stinks, use zBrush for grooming, and peregrine yeti to animate, Vray to render. Expensive time consuming, but correct.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report