Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya fluid cache file limit cap 2.5gb?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
499 Views, 3 Replies

Maya fluid cache file limit cap 2.5gb?

Hi Guys,

Im currently doing some fluid caches, everything caches fine until I up the resolution, then whenever the cache file exceeds 2.5gb the scene crashes. This happens on windows and mac, locally or on the network.

I'm using an auto resized container and emitting from geometry.

I knew there was a cap a few years ago but I though it had been changed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

James.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
agraham
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to use the 'mcx' cache format. See this page:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/file...

.mcc format cannot exceed 2Gb. .mcx uses a 64-bit index, and can exceed 2Gb.

But can you tell me why you aren't using per-frame cache files? Dealing with those huge files is painful.
--
Adrian Graham
Principal User Experience Designer
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: agraham

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply.

Weirdly my settings are set to .mcx and per frame cache file but still capping.

I'm not very experienced with maya fluid so trying to figure out any issues im having.

Another problem I am having is that I can get a low res sim how I want but when I increase the resolution, even if only by a small amount the simulation completely changes and is unusable. Is this the right workflow to use? I always assumed that once getting the low res sim right I could just increase the resolution?

Thanks,

James.

Message 4 of 4
agraham
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you writing out per-frame caches? Or to one, huge cache? Make sure to select 'One file per frame' when you run your cache. Dealing with insane file sizes is not pleasant. Also, how much RAM is on your machine? Your machine may be hitting limits with how much data it can push.

Unfortunatley, you can't just increase the resolution of a Maya Fluid and expect it to behave the same. This is just the nature of the Fluid solver. Certain fluid attributes will affect your sim as you change the resolution of your container, as there's more voxels to affect the velocity data.

I'm sure Duncan can chime in on this.

--
Adrian Graham
Principal User Experience Designer
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report