Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to "button constraint" now?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1764 Views, 6 Replies

How to "button constraint" now?

Well, that's so simple I can't believe I'm doing this in the forum:

A long time ago, we have a constraint called "Button Constraint". With this constraint, it was possible attach, for example, a button, to a shirt. (and of course, button was constrained to the movement of the shirt).

How can we do this now!?. I'm trying with ncloth (how not) and component to component constraint, with other ones, etc... but a nrigid doesn't follows the movement of the ncloth!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
_sebastian_f
in reply to: Anonymous

did you try the " point on poly constrain" ? did a quick try with a cube attached to a sphere which gets blendshape deformation and it follows.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Thank for answer Sebastian.

I test it, but appears not to work with ncloth. Appears ncloth doesn't transform the pivot (or the position) of the cloth mesh, just their components, so, usual constraints doesn't works with ncloth.

Did you combine somehow a ncloth as a blend shape of other mesh to get it working?
Message 4 of 7
_sebastian_f

i didn´t try with nCloth. the blendshape part was just to make sure its bound to a vertex and not to the transform. so in the moment i can just guess that it should work with cloth too.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hmmm.. You gave me a good idea when you talked me about Blendshapes, an it works!. I'll share it with everyone:

The point here is simple. Make a copy of the mesh that will be your ncloth. Now, turn one of them to ncloth, and convert the new ncloth to a blendshape for the other one (the non-ncloth one). So, now ncloth mesh will behave as cloth, and the other one will just replicate the final form, but with this last one, is absolutely possible to use usual constraints as "point on poly constraint", just perfect to put buttons and this kind of things.

The rest, is just a matter of get our ncloth working as we want, and finally, hide the ncloth mesh and just show the mesh that replicates it, with all the additions on it.

Thank you Seb for your replies, finally, you pointed me in the right direction!, or at least, has been a pleasure to share the trick with you!.

Pd. Remember, make the blendshape AFTER the source mesh has been converted to Ncloth.

Message 6 of 7
_sebastian_f

im glad you found a solution which works for you. out of curiosity i made a quick test and it works fine directly on ncloth. no need for blendshapes (see attached maya2015 file). again it was just to test for me if the constraint will follow.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Yes, you're on right!.

So, I need to review my project and try to find why this doesn't works to me. Testing it over a clear scene, it works perfectly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report