Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Xgen prefs?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1555 Views, 5 Replies

Deleting Xgen prefs?

Hi!

I think I broke my Xgen/Maya. I was messing around with xgen in a scene with a still character (model A) so I could tweak it as needed. Once I had an acceptable result I exported the Collection (also the Descriptions apart) and Groom. I then imported the files to a scene with the animated character (model Aa)... thats when things got weird.

I first got the results as expected in the viewport but the splines didnt appear in the render window.

Now I think it is broken. No matter if it is a different scene with a new sphere and in a new project, maya tries to search for the groom parameters in the wrong path, and xgen does not generate new ptex maps for the new geometry, it tries search for the name of the ptex assigned to my model (Aa) which dont exist.

The error is (a longer version of) this

Error: XGen:  Failed to find description2/groom/orient/polySurface6.ptx  //
// Error: XGen:  Searched path includes:
                 Myverylongprojectpath/xgen/collections/collection3/description2/groom/orient/polySurface6.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
                 Myverylongprojectpath/xgen/description2/groom/orient/polySurface6.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)

This error goes for all the groom parameters (orient, bend, width, region).

I tried deleting maya prefs but it was no good. Installing and reinstalling maya neither. I saw in the node editor while selecting the geometry there is a node named Xgen prefs.

Is there any way to delete/reset that script? Where can I find it?

Has anyone else had this kind of problems with Xgen?

**Help me Daryl Olbert wan Kenobi, you are my only hope!

Cheers,

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I ran into a similar issue.. got the same error message when I tried to render grooming splines.
In my case there was a bug in Maya which kind of deletes the ptex files as soon as you turn off the grooming visibility (yellow hair preview) and save your file. 
I had to start from scratch and didn't turn off the grooming visibility and everything worked...

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

That's where I am right now. Redoing it from scratch. I noticed that in my case, Maya does not generate a new groom/directories setup each with the corresponding ptex file when I create a new collection and description. I can copy the old descriptions generated when all worked fine but the groom does not work, I just get the splines. And no grooming visibility, only the main primitives. It's weird...

Message 4 of 6
ezraprogrammer

I have this problem now.

I get the same error message and can't render or see in my viewport any of the many descriptions.

I've been looking for a solution but can't find anything.

If I create a new description it will work as soon as I open the file after closing it, it gives me the ptex error and doesn't show the fur just the guides. Any workaround yet???

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ezraprogrammer

I haven't found a solution yet. I had to put that project on hold for a while. Whenever I can come back to it, I'll let you know of any news.

Cheers,

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I think I am having the same issue. Xgen keeps searching for the correct path and I am unsure how to proceed. Because of this I have hair and guides (tube_grooming) but I cannot clump, mask, etc. I see on the top of the xgen window there is a collections tab with an edit path function but I don't know how to go on from here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report