Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking glass?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
788 Views, 4 Replies

Breaking glass?

Hey everyone! I have a scene where there is a glass plate in front of the camera. I'd like to break it. I watched quite a few tutorials, but none of them seem to touch on the following subject. The way I approach is this: I make a plane. Cut it up. Select edges. Detach. Then I extrude to give it thickness. Aplly nCloth. And I have a rigid body that breaks it. The probelm is when I apply a glass shader on this and render it. I can see all the cuts I made prior to glass being broken. Is there a way for those slices to become visible only when they leave the original plane?

Thank you for any advise!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rpsnir1
in reply to: Anonymous

beter to use 2 mesh . one before hitting the collider and another after colliding 🙂
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

if you select thin walled in your material attributes that might work.
Message 4 of 5
agraham

It should be a trick in the composite. Render up to the frame before the glass gets hit with the original, unbroken glass shown, the shards hidden. Then the next frame, unhide your shards, and hide your glass. Just keyframe visibility to do this.
--
Adrian Graham
Principal User Experience Designer
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

There is a problem with this approach. Since those bullets have a trail, of textured particles when you will swat the footage the trail will disappear and won't be seen through falling pieces of glass.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report