Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bifrost, I can't see voxels...

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
orca
4441 Views, 19 Replies

Bifrost, I can't see voxels...

Hello~

I'm working with bifrost to make ocean scene.

attribute Editor -> bifrostshape1 -> Display

Particles work Fine!

But, when I select Voxels,

I can't see anything in Viewport 2.0

pls help me~

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
orca
in reply to: orca

ps. I use Mac pro 2013, Yosemite, maya 2015 sp5
Display Particle works well, but when choose voxels, it dosn't display voxels...
Message 3 of 20
pshwayka

I can confirm this...and when I tried the same test scene under Bootcamp (Windows) they show up.  Looks like a possible Maya OSX bug...

Message 4 of 20
orca
in reply to: pshwayka

Thank you pshwayka!
I hope Autodesk fix this issue...
Message 5 of 20
BenBisares

Let me see if I can reproduce this on my end and if I can, I'll submit this to the devs.

Would it be possible for you to attach an archive (File > Archive Scene) of a  project that has the issue?

Ben Bisares
Message 6 of 20
pshwayka
in reply to: BenBisares

Hi Ben,

Attached is a very simple test scene where I merely created a sphere, moved it up, did a Bifrost-> Create liquid, and under the bifrost shape node, I changed the display type to voxels.

If you open the scene in Maya for Mac and hit the play button, the voxels never appear in the viewport.  If you open the scene in Maya for Windows and hit play, they do.

(I'm on Maya 2015 Extension SP5.)

Hope this helps...

Peter

Edited to add a step I left out...

Message 7 of 20
agraham

The issue is that your display cannot be set to DX11. I'm not at my Mac at the moment, but open your Preferences window, to the Display tab. Scroll to the bottom, you'll see the Rendering Engine pulldown. I can't remember what options you get on Mac at the moment, but it might default to DX11. Try OpenGL or OpenGL Core Profile. I forget which one. There's a release note out there for this.
--
Adrian Graham
Principal User Experience Designer
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 8 of 20
pshwayka
in reply to: agraham

Hi Adrian,

The original post was related to Maya on OSX.  DX11 is a Windows feature, so it is not available under OSX.  Under Windows Boot Camp on a Mac, you are correct...DX11 will not display bifrost voxels, and OpenGL should be used.

Message 9 of 20
agraham

I'm sorry, in my confusion of hopping between here and the beta forums, I was referring to settings that aren't present in Maya 2015. Please disregard that last comment of mine.
--
Adrian Graham
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 10 of 20
trilobyte

Voxels don't display on my system either.
Mac Pro (late 2013)
Dual FirePro D700's
OSX 10.10.x
Maya 2015 SP5
Message 11 of 20
Patso0379

Having the same issue, voxels not working but particles work fine.

Message 12 of 20
agraham
in reply to: Patso0379

This is a known issue with certain graphics cards, on certain OSs. Which OS are you on, and which graphics card are you using?
--
Adrian Graham
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 13 of 20
Patso0379

Im on Yosmite 10.10.2 and using the AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB graphics card.

Message 14 of 20
trilobyte

It's disappointing to see that, nearly a year after release, these kinds of issues (no ViewCube in ViewPort 2.0, etc) persist even on allegedly certified hardware.

Message 15 of 20
syracoj

There are a few reasons for voxels (possibly) not displaying.

For this post, considering its Mac centric nature, it sounds like the most common one would be due to:

MAYA-32245 'Draw Bifrost voxels on Macintosh'

Due to constraints at the time, we were unable to develop this portion of the voxel draw feature(s) for the Mac platform during the 2015 development period. Unfortunately, this was a release note that snuck past us and is not found in the 2015 'known limitations' release notes. I am investigating the liklihood of adding the release note now. To work around this simply use the particle display draw option.

For windows users, it is possible to lose voxel draw functionality based on the version of nvidia drivers used. Internally, we discovered that with some builds of Maya, voxels may not draw on nvidia cards whose driver versions are >= 340.66

If you are on windows, and your nvidia card has this driver version or greater, and you are not in DX viewport mode, and voxels do not draw in the viewport, then there is a strong liklihood that this is the cause.

For windows users, it is possible to lose voxel draw functionality if the DX11 Display Pref is set in the Maya Preferences. For DX11, use particle display.

It is also possible to lose both particle and voxel draw if a user switches the display from VP2 to the Legacy Default Viewport. Bifrost display types (particles and voxels) will not draw in VP1.

hope this helps guys.

Message 16 of 20
trilobyte
in reply to: syracoj

Thanks for the info.  It's a shame that the issues with voxels, ViewCube, etc couldn't have been addressed with one of the subsequent service packs.  Do you know if there's a chance it will be addressed in an upcoming SP, or will it require a major upgrade?

Message 17 of 20
pshwayka
in reply to: trilobyte

I'm pretty sure by company policy, he's not allowed to answer either question.

Message 18 of 20
agraham

You are correct, but John is looking into this issue, so stay tuned.

BTW, you can still *render* voxels in mentalray, you just can't view them in the viewport.
--
Adrian Graham
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 19 of 20
syracoj
in reply to: trilobyte

trilobyte,

We are not at liberty to say when a fix can be added into a version or patch.

I am however going to look into the viewcube issue though to see if I can get some momentum going on that.

Message 20 of 20
arielpatricklim

@agraham wrote:
The issue is that your display cannot be set to DX11. I'm not at my Mac at the moment, but open your Preferences window, to the Display tab. Scroll to the bottom, you'll see the Rendering Engine pulldown. I can't remember what options you get on Mac at the moment, but it might default to DX11. Try OpenGL or OpenGL Core Profile. I forget which one. There's a release note out there for this.

This one worked for me! 😄 I chose the "OpenGL Core Profile" under the Rendering Engine in the Viewport 2.0 settings of the display preferences. Just click Windows> Settings/ Preferences> Preferences > Click "Display" under categories> scroll to bottom> change Rendering Engine to "OpenGL Core Profile". Hope this helps others who are having a problem in Maya MAC OS versions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report