Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bifrost follow a path?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
teotavares
2926 Views, 17 Replies

Bifrost follow a path?

hello!

I would like to know, how to follow a path bifrost maya? thks.

Tags (3)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
syracoj
in reply to: teotavares

what is the effect your going for? Do you have any reference?

Message 3 of 18
teotavares
in reply to: syracoj

Hi,

i need make a effect, when the liquid follow a path, like spiral.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZW1FiCr0kQ
or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLkMxeIwU-E

thanks.
Message 4 of 18
syracoj
in reply to: teotavares

hello teotavares,

sorry for the slow response. Its been an exceptionally busy week for us.

So the effect that you are trying to do really isnt possible with the current Bifrost evolution. We do not offer any path follow/guide tools to get this effect.

YOu could do something similar by emitting a liquid through a modeled tube as a collider then set the thickness of the collider tube large enough to keep the liquid sim far off of the walls of the tube. You would have to spray it through by using an accelerator to push the sim at a fast rate. YOu could add additional accelerators that spin to create a turbulent agitation to the liquid in key areas but thats pretty much all that there is at the artists disposal right now for this kind of directed workflow. 

Hopefully in time there will be more flexibilityin regards to achieving this kind of effect.

Go ahead and try the workflow I have described. If you hit any roadblocks please do not hesitate to ask me for guidance on here.

Message 5 of 18
agraham

You could try doing this with an accelerator that's deforming along a path, with inheritVelocity set high.
--
Adrian Graham
Principal User Experience Designer
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 6 of 18
teotavares
in reply to: agraham

I'll try, and tell you. Thanks
Message 7 of 18
ruchitinfushion

When we will able to do dirty tricks like customVelocity, customCollision, variable viscosity, etc. with Bifrost ???

Message 8 of 18
syracoj
in reply to: ruchitinfushion

ruchitinfushion,

could you define "custom"?

Message 9 of 18
ruchitinfushion

Custom means full procedural control. I want to control Bifrost liquid & aero simulation with custom velocity fields.

Default force field (gravity, radial, turbulence, etc.) inside maya is very limited.

Let say, You want to create crown splash effect

1)Create Crown shape model

2)Control its normal direction

3)Use normal direction as force field direction & length of normal vector as magnitude of force field.

crown Splash

Let say, You want to create twister effect

1)Create plane

2)Modify plane normal direction using expression or nodes.

3)Use normal direction as force field direction & length of normal vector as magnitude of force field.

Twister

Let say, You want to create boat splash effect

1)take ocean & boat object

2)extract intersection geometry between boat & ocean.

3)Find centroind of boat.

4)Modify normal direction of intersected object from centroid of boat to outward.

5)Use normal direction as force field direction & length of normal vector as magnitude of force field.

Boat

Let say, you want to create curve flow effect

1) Take nurbs curve

2) Modify nurbs curve normal to its tanget direction.

3) Use normal direction as force field direction & length of normal vector as magnitude of force field.

CurveFlow

Let say, You want to create Debris explosion.

1)Create dummy object.

2)Modify its normal to explosion direction.

3) Use normal direction as force field direction & length of normal vector as magnitude of force field.

RBD

in short i want full proceduralism inside maya.

Message 10 of 18

If that's not suitable for the Maya Feedback site I don't know what is 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 11 of 18

@Steve_Curley

Maya Feedback Site is waste of time. Many people has already requested advanced feature but Maya developer never comes in front of artist to discuss about what they want.

May be in 2050 version we will get proceduralism Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 18

Unfortunately (for you, perhaps) it is the only official way to request improvements such as the one under discussion here. It is the also the only one guaranteed to be seen by the development staff.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 13 of 18
agraham

The type of proceduralism you mention is exactly what we're working on right now. The Bifrost graph is where all this will happen. Unfortunately, I can't say exactly what this will entail (without getting all official), but this is our goal, and what you have asked for will be quite easy with the right nodes.

BTW I, as well as any other Autodesk staff on this forum, are the conduits through which feature requests are heard. Developers don't generally read or post on these forums; they're too busy writing code!

--
Adrian Graham
Principal User Experience Designer
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 14 of 18
ruchitinfushion

@agraham @Steve_Curley

There is 470 votes under SOUP in Maya feedback,Started in 2012 but still no reply from autodesk team.(http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/2957565-soup-in-maya...  

Right now using Soup nodes we can do lots of procedural things inside maya. But it will be great if autodesk team start to work on this.

http://www.soup-dev.com/

Message 15 of 18
syracoj

Soup is an awesome set of tools that we admire greatly.

But perhaps we would like to do something greater than Soup.

If we were to hypothetically acquire Soup then we would be spending more time on maintaining that toolset rather than focusing resources on creating something greater. Resources are and always have been finite.

Message 16 of 18
ruchitinfushion

@syracoj

Yeah you are right, Soup is just for idea. We need more powerful node system so that we can modify data at any level (true proceduralism like in houdini).

Message 17 of 18
viki164

Come on guys sometimes it feels like we are working with last gen tools. there are so many things which needs to ctachup. If Maya 2017 doesnt gets any better. I am never looking back to it. Will Move on !

UPgrade PFX  & Nparticles for FX sake, Maya Fluid is old & might be forgotten with time. Mayas native RBD ( literally this needs to vanish or get deleted ) ..Just waste of space. 

Have much better Bullet integration , Add support for OpenVDB please. 

As you can already see some implementation of it but its still in its early phase. A friend of mine single handedly compiled it with current Maya & it works like charm..but the nodes we have are still basic vdb nodes. A further more support for vdb like it has with houdini will be much apreciated.

Message 18 of 18
viki164
in reply to: viki164

When was the last time the Mayas Rigid body was touched or upgraded ? Maya 6 ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report